Microtonic V3.3 Skinning

Fredrik Lidström16 621 views472 posts
Page 1 of 8last
  • Fredrik Lidström

** Old post removed because it was no longer accurate **

The latest official skin installer can now be found on the download page.

For skinning information and template, please check out our repository at https://github.com/fredli74/microtonic-skins

• Fredrik Lidström

To test out the custom skin possibilities I created a retro skin for the Vintage Tonic release.

• Lucas Fackler

Love it! I think maybe this should be the official new look!

• Dave

love this

thanks!

• Bill Carroll

beautiful work, thank you for sharing. Hope to see this make it into the default product. :)

• e@rs

Nice alternative look. Thanx, Fredrik!

• Solidtrax

Whow, awesome new skin, will try this new stuff asap! Happy holidays all!

• Steve Lampert

Very cool! Thank you!

• Manuel Senfft

Thank you for the "tutorial", the new skin, the skinning possibiliteis and the plugin at all. Just great! (=

• Tom Mosler

This looks great! Thank you!

• Sam Saw

Trying to get the Vintage Skin working, can someone give me specifics on where to put the folder on Mac ?

• Tom Mosler

- Sam Saw wrote:
    Trying to get the Vintage Skin working, can someone give me specifics on where to put the folder on Mac ?

For VST copy "Microtonic V3.3 Resources" folder into your Mac HD > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > VST > Sonic Charge

I believe same goes for any other plugin type so for AU you need to go into "Components" instead of "VST" folder and so on.

• Manuel Senfft

Well, Fredrik literally already wrote it:

The resource folder must be named "Microtonic V3.3 Resources" and located in the same folder as the Microtonic.vst (or Microtonic.component) file.
  • Joey Luck

I got it working with the plugins, but can't get it to work with the standalone version of Microtonic.

I had also placed the resources folder in the 'Sonic Charge' folder located under Applications (the same folder as Microtonic standalone). Does it need to go somewhere else for the standalone version? Does the skin work with the standalone version?

Also, is removing this folder the only way to revert back to the original or is there a toggle I am overlooking? Thanks!

• Dan Landis

Cool skin. Thanks, Fredrik!

• andrey vakhnenko

COOL! But how to install this on Windows 10 x64? ))
    Thanx!

• Fredrik Lidström

- Joey Luck wrote:
    I got it working with the plugins, but can't get it to work with the standalone version of Microtonic.

Yes, it's a bit tricky with the standalone version because the .vst file is actually inside the .app bundle. So if you right-click it in Finder and "Show Package Content", you can find the .vst in there and drop the resource folder next to it. This is not a beautiful solution, we know, skinning is more of a hack for now.

Also, is removing this folder the only way to revert back to the original or is there a toggle I am overlooking? Thanks!

Yes, or you can rename it to turn it off of course.

• ITommy Zai

Fantastic!! Thanks so much for all you do!!

• Lilith Unfair

This is amazing. LOVE that skin! I'm such a sucker for skins, SO excited to play around with the template!

• Alexander Dorendorf

love this look!
    thanks frederik

• grymmjack

Beautiful ! And so happy this is skinnable :)

• grymmjack

will the other products get a similar skinning feature?

• Sergey Kharuta

Only one word - COOL!!!!!! Thank you! Amazing instrument is now with the Great look!!!

• Aesthete

F yah@!

Interested to see what the skinning masters out there come up with

• ITommy Zai

Love the woodgrain. ;-)

• Andre Geisler

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas

• Eric S. – Mr. Rico

Merci !!

• okan bayir

*****If any resource file is missing in the folder, the built-in resource is used instead.

Yes it is missing. So I can't replace it with Microtonic V3.3 Resources...

Where is the resource file (old) to replace ? Or do I have to uninstall Microtonic first and reinstall ?

• Stuart Flower

Thanks , this looks great . Merry Xmas

• okan bayir

- okan bayir wrote:
    *****If any resource file is missing in the folder, the built-in resource is used instead.
    Yes it is missing. So I can't replace it with Microtonic V3.3 Resources...
    Where is the resource file (old) to replace ? Or do I have to uninstall Microtonic first and reinstall ?

and I only have a .dll and no .vst file in my VST Folder......I placed the .dll into the Microtonic V3.3 Resources folder.....it doesn't work...(Win 10 x64)

• Marshall Cooper

I am absolutely blown away, this skin breathes brand life into Microtonic. My favorite drum machine in the world now looks utterly fantastic in addition to sounding as great as always. Happy holidays, and thank you.

• Fredrik Lidström

- okan bayir wrote:
    I only have a .dll and no .vst file in my VST Folder......I placed the .dll into the Microtonic V3.3 Resources folder.....it doesn't work...(Win 10 x64)

Ah sorry, .vst is Mac, it's called Microtonic.dll on Windows. (Updated my top post for clarity). Just drop the Microtonic V3.3 Resource folder next to your .dll file, it should then find it when the plugin loads up.

• Fredrik Lidström

- grymmjack wrote:
    will the other products get a similar skinning feature?

Synplant, Echobode, Bitspeek, and Permut8 actually have way better skinning support than Microtonic. It not only lets you replace image resources but change almost everything with the interface. You can change dimensions of components, move things around, or add new stuff, like the random buttons I made for Echobode and Permut8.

The problem is we have not written any documentation on it and have no alternative GUIs to show how it's done.

For the brave soul who wants to try it anyway, the principle is the same, if it finds resource folders it will load from them instead. Built-in resources are easily extracted on Mac since you can just do "Show Package Contents" on the .vst file.

• TecRoc

Awesome! Back to the Future. Great Christmas gift. Thank You.

• David Boura

a-ma-zing!!!

• Dumbo

Thank you very much! I could make myself a light version (cause my eyes can't read the dark version very good). It's great to be able to customise the look. Thank you for this great Christmas gift! (And the wonderful vintage sounds of course!!!)

Cheers
    Dumbo

background_x2.png

The image is for demonstration purposes only, it works but is not 100% perfectly aligned...
  • Joseph Lowery

This is phenomenal and the sounds are great. Can you please make more packs built on other drum machines, possibly even things like the Tempest?

Also, will you make the machine learning available to others?

Best,
    JL

• Marco Raaphorst

Looks great! Thanks for this!

• Lennart Verhoeff

Looks awesome! Thx!

• NewLoops.com (Download Synplant 2 Pro Expansion Demo!)

sounds great, more please!

• Sjoerd van Geffen

Ooh nice! I may try to cook up a skin or maybe two and post them up here. As I haven't even thought about this yet, any suggestions are welcome.

• Rob Joyner

Excellent!

• tonalaxis

Thank you for this, Looks great!

• Joey Luck

- Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    - Joey Luck wrote:
    Yes, it's a bit tricky with the standalone version because the .vst file is actually inside the .app bundle. So if you right-click it in Finder and "Show Package Content", you can find the .vst in there and drop the resource folder next to it. This is not a beautiful solution, we know, skinning is more of a hack for now.

That worked. Thanks!

• andrey vakhnenko

awesome!
    one problem.
    user can't understand what channel is currently selected if pattern is played.
    little red dot on selected channel is not very obvious.
    may be highlight the selected PAD?
    https://prnt.sc/wadzza

• frédéric Henrion

Nice to see Microtonic is still alive !

• andre cubilo

It works for me in the standalone version, it works as a vst in Reason,but Live doesn't let it load ... i go back to the original version, that being said, it's quite cool this new skin.

• aoVI

You guys keep making your great work even better. Thank you!

• grymmjack

Thanks Fredrick

• okan bayir

- okan bayir wrote:
    I only have a .dll and no .vst file in my VST Folder......I placed the .dll into the Microtonic V3.3 Resources folder.....it doesn't work...(Win 10 x64)
    Ah sorry, .vst is Mac, it's called Microtonic.dll on Windows. (Updated my top post for clarity). Just drop the Microtonic V3.3 Resource folder next to your .dll file, it should then find it when the plugin loads up.

Does not work. Placed as you described. I am using Studio One Pro 5

Other Win10 x64 User here, or am I the only one who can't make it work ?

• Quickmix

Microtonic New Skin.png

Great! Works perfect with Logic Pro | Mac mini M1 Silicon | macOS Big Sur 11.1 :)
  • aaron ferenc

Very cool and fun thank you for the new patches!

• aoVI

- okan bayir wrote:
    - okan bayir wrote:
    Does not work. Placed as you described. I am using Studio One Pro 5
    Other Win10 x64 User here, or am I the only one who can't make it work ?

Same config here: S1Pro v5 on win 10 x64 and working.

The resource folder is just sitting in the Sonic Charge folder alongside my microtonic.dll. I did not place the microtonic.dll inside the resource folder.

• Koshdukai

This is a fresh new ("old") look for the uTonic I'm enjoying very much to have. Thank you Fredrik and Magnus ! :D

I've used the .txt method to point to the skin folder, so it's easier to toggle it on/off without moving folder/files.

• okan bayir

new skin microtonic.PNG

yeahhh ! merry xmas :)

• wileryd

Skärmavbild 2020-12-27 kl. 20.49.40.png

Teal and orange in the making.

• colin

Screenshot 8.png

ultra-retro in the making :D
  • Fredrik Lidström

Cool stuff guys! 👍

• grymmjack

- colin wrote:

ultra-retro in the making :D

Sick so far! Excited to try the final :)

• Manuel Senfft

Haha, you people are great. Looking forward to these cool looking skins as well!

Page 1 of 8last

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.