Patternarium turns one today

Magnus Lidström8 667 views26 posts
  • Magnus Lidström

Everyone's favorite interstellar beat mutator has turned one year old today! Happy birthday Patternarium!

To celebrate this we have begun publishing charts with the best and worst for every Patternarium generation. The charts are published on our forum, including zip-packages with the actual .mtpreset files. You will only be able to view the charts and download the zips if you are an authorized Sonic Charge customer. (See this topic if you are unsure of what I mean by that.)

We have not created charts for generation 1 to 3 as those generations were not open for public voting.

Patternarium has always been an open-ended experiment with a great deal of uncertainty how it will develop over time. My personal opinion is that it is doing better and better all the time. I really enjoy hearing what comes out with every new generation and I've saved away hundreds of personal favorite presets. Some of the new presets for version 3.0 were built on material from Patternarium.

In total we have had over 14 000 unique visitors voting and we have received over 430 000 votes (203 000 thumbs up and 230 000 thumbs down). Every single vote counts and will affect the outcome, so keep voting and Patternarium will continue developing in new and interesting ways!

Cheers,
    Magnus

• Klemperer

Wow, one year!! So 6/6 is easy to remember, let's see if we can celebrate the 10th birthday on june 6, 2020 then...(just hoping that a possible hangover after the celebrations would not last 'til midsommar then^^).

• Fredrik Lidström

Happy Birthday! :D

• Jean-Pierre Mercier

Already! Kids today, the grow so fast.
    Happy B day P.

• Riccardo Trost

HB!
    I had a lot of fun and i've found really useful the patternarium for pattern and sound inspiration, i've used it a lot modifying the patches after the download!

Thank you as always!

;)

• Erik Magrini

Wow, hard to believe it's been a year, congrats!

• Zouki

Happy Birthday!

Just what I was asking for! Thanks!

Regards,
    Zouki

• rsmus7

happy birthday

may the patternarium grow and evolve

it really is a great addition to µTonic

• Sjoerd van Geffen

Congrats Patternarium! Before you know, it's gonna start walking and talking. ;)

• Tom Watson

HAppy BDay, though I feel more like it's my own birthday everytime i start downloading the cool grooves offered by the birthday boy ;)

• anonymous

Happy Birthday and thank you for the never-ending inspiration(s) !

• teadrinker

Yay, this is great!
    Very nice to see how 2 ok beats produces an excellent one!
    would be interesting how much of the percentage "goodness"
    is passed on and how much is just merged into something new.
    (I mean statistically checking the correlation of parent
    and child scores, maybe you did this already for tweaking?)

It's a pity the excellent beats die off so quickly, maybe
    you could launch a separate "Patternarium Valhall" where you
    resurrect all beats over 75% or something from all generations
    and give them eternal life, and fix the population size :)
    (no idea if this would work hehe)

• Jason Anderson

Randomisation paired with algorithmically spawned results provide a much needed well of inspiration for artists who are trying to create something previously unimagined, in a musical context. What you've done here with Patternarium is, IMHO, vital to the future of sound design. It is not always that one can think of everything one wishes to have available to construct a piece of music. Patternium and other places of randomisation throughout the SC product line have provided the potential to create a basis for sounds/components/timbres we enjoy but have not yet imagined. This is why I suggest that it is vital to the future of sound design. And so,...a BIG THANK YOU! I LOVE IT!

• Rick Wetzel

Congratulations! I love using Patternarium. It can get pretty addictive.

I have one question, though... Where are the charts published. I don't see them.

Congrats, again! And many happy returns.

• john burbank

I love to spend time listening to random patterns with it! even if I don't like the pattern I listen for patches in it I may want :) T.Y.
    I love the fact that 2 people I know I turned on to micro and they love it! but they can't find a cracked version lol! Lets keep it that way! and yes, they are saving their money to buy it :D I hate it when people ask how much for a vst I use and then they just go get it cracked :( The soniccharge programs are well worth them money! and at a great price! :)

• mtr

Happy Birfday!

So cool and simple!

Love It.

mtr

• Magnus Lidström

- Rick Wetzel wrote:
    I have one question, though... Where are the charts published. I don't see them.

http://soniccharge.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-patternarium-top-charts/

• Magnus Lidström

- teadrinker wrote:
    (I mean statistically checking the correlation of parent
    and child scores, maybe you did this already for tweaking?)

Nope, I haven't checked that. It would be interesting yes!

It's a pity the excellent beats die off so quickly, maybe

Yeah, this was one of many design choices. Should good patterns survive from one generation to the next or should we wipe all. The reason I went for the wipe all solution (which is kind of wrong for genetic algorithms in general) was that I wanted to create unique top lists for each generation. And now we have them...

you could launch a separate "Patternarium Valhall" where you
    resurrect all beats over 75% or something from all generations

That's a great name and a good idea! :) I have been thinking about the possibility to restart Patternarium with the top selection of many generations, in case I feel that Patternarium is converging into similar boring stuff. But so far it hasn't in my opinion.

One possible future for Patternarium could be having a few different universes with different rules. E.g., allowing injection of user created patterns in one. Having eternal patterns in another. A universe focused on DnB patterns only and so on, so on.

I must reveal that I will need to focus on other stuff than Patternarium and µTonic for a while though, e.g. 64-bit, updates to the other plug-ins and who knows, perhaps something entirely new as well. Perhaps. :)

• J. Pablo Arceo

Well thanks Magnus! these is a massive collection indeed, Happy birthday to the patternarium.

• iks

Happy B-Day to Patternarium!
    And thanks to Magnus for the "creature"!
    :)

• java hut audio

Patternarium is one of the most genius musical tools ever invented. I love it.

I think the beats dying off over the evolution of the patterns is a good thing. It means there's a good chance that no one's beats in their tunes will be exactly the same. It also means that if you want more of the good beats, you'll have to visit Patternarium more often, and probably vote while you're there, so there's more input into what Patternarium creates.

Multiple universes of Patternarium for specific genres of beats sounds pretty cool, too. I don't care for four on the floor beats, so I wouldn't mind one that excludes those. While I know there are others that like four on the floor almost exclusively. It'd also be cool to have the non-four on the floor have separate universes for tempos... say one above 90 bpm and one below (although I know it's possible to change the beats' tempos as it is now).

I have a couple of questions, though. What exactly happens when you "wipe" it for a new generation? How does it know what to start with? Does it start with a new/different set of parameters than it's ever had before? Or do you start it with the same parameters as when it was wiped the last time, and the input over time gradually makes all the changes?

And when a new generation starts, are the customers made aware of it? Or it's invisible to us?

Just some thoughts... and questions. As it is, it's awesome. And Magnus, you're a certified genius for creating it! Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary of your one of a musical kind creation!

• Magnus Lidström

- javahut wrote:
    I have a couple of questions, though. What exactly happens when you "wipe" it for a new generation. How does it know what to start with?

Every new generation is built entirely on the previous generation (and only the previous generation). Each preset is the result of combining two presets and the more votes a preset gets the more likely it is to be picked in this process. Behind the scenes the presets are represented as a set of internal parameters (you could call them "genes") that are converted to patches and patterns for the .mtpreset files. It's nothing overly fancy, but it is a little more sophisticated than just .mtpreset data.

And when a new generation starts, are the customers made aware of it? Or it's invisible to us?

There are now two ways of being notified. There is a link under Patternarium, "Email me on new generation". Since we are now going to continually publish top lists with every generation you can also "watch" the "Patternarium Top Charts" forum here.

• Dennis Harms

Happy birthday Patternarium!
    I can't believe it's already a year old!

Cheers
    Dennis

• R.A.W.

Happy B-Day, Patternarium! B)

You've always been a source of great sounds for other patterns I made myself. ;)

• NTNS909

my congratulations and good luck on your way

• Meffy Ellis

A belated happy birthday to the most rhythmic bunch of floating rectangles ever.

• triggers the confetti cannons *

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.