Teenage Engineering PO-32

karkwai12 336 views109 posts
Page 2 of 2
  • DC0

This is awesome! Thanks, karkwai, Fredrik, and Magnus!

Thanks, Fredrik for the tip to run separate instances of Microtonic--that never would have occurred to me.

And your descriptions of the knobs means there is a formulaic way to approach this, rather than slogging through the discrete bars' combinations approach.

• Magnus Lidström

Haha. "Manknus Lidstrunt" is not my real name. ;) I answered that when logged on with my test user and didn't see it until now.

• DC0

LOL--I wondered if that was you!

• fabian l.

Hi,

It is with great pleasure that i discover Microtonic.

The transfer system and collaboration with Pocket operator is simply awesome,
    i hope that other projects are planned for the future. :)

If I could ask for one thing, it would be an "eq"

Proficiat

Fabian

• Brandon McGarvey

I just received my PO-32 and I love it. I am about to start tinkering with Microtonic. I downloaded Savihost so that I can run Microtonic on my laptop just for making new sounds. I have Cubase on my main PC, but the laptop is more convenient. I have a couple questions for the Sonic Charge team.

1) Can I activate Microtonic on both of my computers? Now that I have it, I will probably use it with my DAW, in addition to the PO-32. I am not big on software instruments, but a nice drum synth/sequencer VST is something I could actually use in my setup.
    2) Do you have the "factory patches" for the PO-32 that can be loaded and transferred back to the PO-32? Not a big deal, but I like the included sounds and may want to revert back to them after I play around with creating my own. May sound silly, but just wondering.
    EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw in Microtonic that you can Ctrl+Click in the transfer tool to reset to the factory sound. NICE!

One other thing, if you are open to suggestions. Would an iOS version of Microtonic be possible? I was thinking how convenient it would be to just go to my iPad or iPhone to transfer patches to the PO-32.

• Zach Miller

I think that the Morph feature really shows the true power of Microtonic, but it could be even more awesome if panning would also transfer to the PO-32. Is something like this possible? It would be amazing to get a wider stereo vibe out of the pocket operator using left/right panning with the morph control :)

• Magnus Lidström

- Zach Miller wrote:
    I think that the Morph feature really shows the true power of Microtonic, but it could be even more awesome if panning would also transfer to the PO-32. Is something like this possible? It would be amazing to get a wider stereo vibe out of the pocket operator using left/right panning with the morph control :)

Sorry, no, the PO-32 is monophonic like its predecessors so it ignores the pan knob and the stereo switch. I had hoped to make it the first stereo Pocket Operator but CPU budget was extremely tight so I had to sacrifice that.

You need to buy two PO-32's. :)

• Magnus Lidström

- Brandon McGarvey wrote:
    2) Do you have the "factory patches" for the PO-32 that can be loaded and transferred back to the PO-32? Not a big deal, but I like the included sounds and may want to revert back to them after I play around with creating my own. May sound silly, but just wondering.

I saw you found that ctrl/cmd-clicking instrument buttons reset their sounds, but if you are still interested int the factory drum patches they are indeed installed with Microtonic 3.2. Check PO32 Factory Patches under By Category.

One other thing, if you are open to suggestions. Would an iOS version of Microtonic be possible? I was thinking how convenient it would be to just go to my iPad or iPhone to transfer patches to the PO-32.

I agree. It would be possible for us to port Microtonic to iOS course, but not easy. It is unlikely that just the two of us (Fredrik and me) could manage it. Taking in another programmer is not out of the question of course, but it would mean that the profits from iOS should sustain his/her salary. Co-developing it with an outside developer is another possibility, but unfortunately development rarely ends after the first launch. Apple has been very good at keeping us busy with OS X updates and I am certain iOS would not be any different, plus the fact that we will continue to update Microtonic as we have done for 13 years now.

I am not ruling out Sonic Charge on iPhones and iPads in the future but as you hear there are some obstacles and it is not something that we are planning as our next endeavor.

• Brandon McGarvey

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    I agree. It would be possible for us to port Microtonic to iOS course, but not easy. It is unlikely that just the two of us (Fredrik and me) could manage it. Taking in another programmer is not out of the question of course, but it would mean that the profits from iOS should sustain his/her salary. Co-developing it with an outside developer is another possibility, but unfortunately development rarely ends after the first launch. Apple has been very good at keeping us busy with OS X updates and I am certain iOS would not be any different, plus the fact that we will continue to update Microtonic as we have done for 13 years now.
    I am not ruling out Sonic Charge on iPhones and iPads in the future but as you hear there are some obstacles and it is not something that we are planning as our next endeavor.

I understand. Thanks.

• Jesse Weston

Got my PO-32 and MicroTonic yesterday, and am liking it a lot. Good stuff!

One idea came to mind: What about online patch transfer? I mean specifically without needing the VST. Because all that is required to transfer a patch is sound, correct? A web page where people could go to preview patches, then transfer them if desired would be useful to a certain degree, as people would not be anchored to their desktop. If they are out and about, or for whatever reason don't have access to Microtonic, they could just go online and update their PO-32 with some fresh sounds. Just an idea.

• DC0

It should be pretty easy to do cloud-based transfers of patterns already using 3rd party sound hosting sites like SoundCloud, etc. Just post up the playback audio of the pattern and then the modem audio of the pattern together as a pair. I'll bet people will start doing just that on their own.

• Don Turner

Just wanted to say how awesome it would be to be able to transfer patterns from the PO-32 to microtonic, the workflow would be amazing, being able to make beats on the move, then seamlessly add them into an Ableton Live session for further tweakery.

Any idea on if/when this might be implemented?

• Jan Henckell

I am sorry to ask this in this forum but does pushing the encoders on the PO-32 have any function?

• Bichuelo Audiotecna

I don't think they're encoders, just simple potentiometers: https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/po-32/en#microtonic

• John Ghadimi

I have not been able to get the transfer working properly!! I keep putting it in receive mode. I constantly get the Err message, and sometimes it just stays in receive mode without accepting anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I thought it was as simple as putting the microphone close to the speaker. Appreciate any help.

• Magnus Lidström

@John Ghadimi : it should absolutely be as simple as that. When you enter receive mode do you see the LEDs light up like a VU-meter? Does it look like the PO-32 is getting a strong good signal?

Does it work If you use a 3.5 mm cable from the computer to the PO-32 input instead?

• John Ghadimi

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    @John Ghadimi : it should absolutely be as simple as that. When you enter receive mode do you see the LEDs light up like a VU-meter? Does it look like the PO-32 is getting a strong good signal?
    Does it work If you use a 3.5 mm cable from the computer to the PO-32 input instead?

Hi Magnus. Will have to investigate the cable tonight, and possibly an external sound source (and not the laptop speakers). What do you mean by the PO-32 getting a strong signal? How would I verify that? is there a visual cue for that?

• Magnus Lidström

Hi Magnus. Will have to investigate the cable tonight, and possibly an external sound source (and not the laptop speakers).

All laptop speakers that I have tried have worked fine. Are you using the standalone version of Microtonic or VST in a DAW? If in a DAW, make sure there is no effect on Microtonic when you are transmitting.

What do you mean by the PO-32 getting a strong signal? How would I verify that? is there a visual cue for that?

Yeah, the 16 button LEDs light up to show the signal strength.

• John Ghadimi

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Hi Magnus. Will have to investigate the cable tonight, and possibly an external sound source (and not the laptop speakers).
    All laptop speakers that I have tried have worked fine. Are you using the standalone version of Microtonic or VST in a DAW? If in a DAW, make sure there is no effect on Microtonic when you are transmitting.
    What do you mean by the PO-32 getting a strong signal? How would I verify that? is there a visual cue for that?
    Yeah, the 16 button LEDs light up to show the signal strength.

Worked like a charm. I realized my issue was sound volume. I had to crank it up full blast so I could get a good signal strength.

Wanted to know if there is ANY way to sync it with a DAW like Reason? For now, I just set the BPM manually and record it as a loop.

Thanks again for the assistance. Love my new toy 😃😃😃

• Bichuelo Audiotecna

You can record the click when the PO-32 is set as master; SY1 on the left channel to your computer. Then load it in a sampler and send it to a dedicated audio channel, play it in 1/8th notes and set your PO-32 to SY2

check all the details in the user guide, its very easy to set it up!

• Jack Pimiento

- Jesse Weston wrote:
    Got my PO-32 and MicroTonic yesterday, and am liking it a lot. Good stuff!
    One idea came to mind: What about online patch transfer? I mean specifically without needing the VST. Because all that is required to transfer a patch is sound, correct? A web page where people could go to preview patches, then transfer them if desired would be useful to a certain degree, as people would not be anchored to their desktop. If they are out and about, or for whatever reason don't have access to Microtonic, they could just go online and update their PO-32 with some fresh sounds. Just an idea.

I'm interested in this as well. There seems to be lots of talk about this but no one seems to be able to actually confirm if it's possible. I imagine that the purpose of the transfer feature is to shift more units of microtonic software rather than being people being able to share kits and sounds.

Can anyone (ie the designer of microtonic) advise if this recording of sound files and transefer to the PO32 actually works without the microtonice software?

• John Ghadimi

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused/lost in the wiring of this and how things get back into and out of the PO in my DAW. I did hear the audible click-track as you mentioned below, but that's where I lose the process.

- Bichuelo Audiotecna wrote:
    You can record the click when the PO-32 is set as master; SY1 on the left channel to your computer. Then load it in a sampler and send it to a dedicated audio channel, play it in 1/8th notes and set your PO-32 to SY2
  • Bichuelo Audiotecna

- John Ghadimi wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused/lost in the wiring of this and how things get back into and out of the PO in my DAW. I did hear the audible click-track as you mentioned below, but that's where I lose the process.

You shouldn't hear them. Send the click from the third output to the input of the PO, if you have a multichannel soundcard, or if you don't have one, I'm afraid you would have to send them through the right channel and use the left to hear you mix, forcing you to a mono output

• John Ghadimi

- John Ghadimi wrote:
    You shouldn't hear them. Send the click from the third output to the input of the PO, if you have a multichannel soundcard, or if you don't have one, I'm afraid you would have to send them through the right channel and use the left to hear you mix, forcing you to a mono output

Thank you for the responses. Just to confirm and clarify it in my head, does this attached diagram capture the steps and set up you are describing?

**addendum** I spent some time today routing all of this and no luck whatsoever. I am sending the click sound through a discreet audio channel into the PO after setting it to SY2. After sending that click track sound, nothing happens on the PO and it does not sync and start playback.

PO_sync.jpg
  • Magnus Lidström

Can anyone (ie the designer of microtonic) advise if this recording of sound files and transefer to the PO32 actually works without the microtonice software?

It absolutely does. You can easily bounce the audio from Microtonic when you make a transfer to create such a sound file. Or you can record the audio output from the PO-32 after pressing [write]+[sound]. The modem signal withstands MP3 compression and I've successfully uploaded and downloaded data dumps on Soundcloud.

• Bichuelo Audiotecna

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    It absolutely does. You can easily bounce the audio from Microtonic when you make a transfer to create such a sound file. Or you can record the audio output from the PO-32 after pressing [write]+[sound]. The modem signal withstands MP3 compression and I've successfully uploaded and downloaded data dumps on Soundcloud.

Are there any banks already for download in Soundcloud? Is there a hashtag used to identify them?

• Magnus Lidström

Are there any banks already for download in Soundcloud? Is there a hashtag used to identify them?

Not that I am aware of. I intend to release a few myself that I am working on at the moment (both as .mtpresets and PO-32 dumps). You should bear in mind that the first batch of PO-32s without Microtonic just shipped a couple of weeks ago, so up until now everyone with PO-32 has also got Microtonic and they have had plenty of sounds to explore with Patternarium etc.

• Jack Pimiento

Magnus Lidström I intend to release a few myself that I am working on at the moment (both as .mtpresets and PO-32 dumps).

Great that there will be some new PO32 sounds soon. Also great to hear that the sound transfer works with a simple audio file. Although having said that I'm thoroughly enjoying the PO32 as is anyway.

Thanks!

• Bichuelo Audiotecna

- John Ghadimi wrote:
    Thank you for the responses. Just to confirm and clarify it in my head, does this attached diagram capture the steps and set up you are describing?
    *addendum* I spent some time today routing all of this and no luck whatsoever. I am sending the click sound through a discreet audio channel into the PO after setting it to SY2. After sending that click track sound, nothing happens on the PO and it does not sync and start playback.

Make sure you send a really hot signal to the PO, that is the most usual problem

• John Ghadimi

Make sure you send a really hot signal to the PO, that is the most usual problem

EXCELLENT! thank you. Good to go. :)

• Jordan Sitkin

@Magnus I'd love to add some PO-32 / microtonic specific features to https://op1.fun. Please let me know if there is any public info on the patch encoding!

• Magnus Lidström

- Jordan Sitkin wrote:
    @Magnus I'd love to add some PO-32 / microtonic specific features to https://op1.fun. Please let me know if there is any public info on the patch encoding!

Nice site! Would be awesome to have PO-32 stuff there. But what information are you looking for exactly? If you are wondering about the transfer features they are pretty deep and convoluted. It probably took half the development time of the PO-32 to get it working.

The modem signal is a proprietary phase shift keying designed to work well with acoustic transfers (could not find much established research on this subject so I rolled my own). The data transmitted is again a proprietary protocol of encrypted (actually for maximizing bit enthropy for the acoustic signal) and error checked commands which contains (again) proprietary and PO-32 adapted Microtonic parameter data, patterns etc...

It's a lot of work to create something that decodes all this. To be honest I haven't even written a decoder myself yet that runs on anything but the Cortex on the Pocket Operator ;)

But tell me more of what you are interested in and I'll see if I can find a way to help you.

• Jordan Sitkin

@magnus thanks! Sounds like there are two parts to this. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be :)

1) I'd like to let users preview PO-32 patches on the site in the same way they can with OP-1 drum patches, by playing an MP3 preview of the AIFF patch. Of course, that's easy with the OP-1 as the patch is just audio with some metadata. I suppose to do this with microtonic/PO-32 I would need some way of generating a preview from a patch file. Would it be possible to run an instance of the microtonic VST on the server and script it to create these previews? Would that be allowed under your terms?

2) Writing a new encoder/decoder for the modem signal sounds like a big challenge. Would it be possible to run the decoding & decrypting functions on an ARM Cortex emulator like QEMU? That would have the extra benefit of keeping your protocols private, but I don't know how much work would be involved in extracting the relevant code and getting it to run in QEMU.

To be clear, even without either of these things I could allow op1.fun users to save/restore PO-32 patches on the site since its just audio after all. So it might be that #2 is unnecessary.

I haven't actually used the PO-32 or microtonic yet, so let me know if I'm going about this in a strange way.

Thanks!

• Tim La

Hey guys,

I have a question. How much db is your input in your DAW?
    Mine is at about 24db and I always think it's too quiet.
    But raising the Volume gives me really fast a nasty noise.
    Am I just dumb and doing something wrong?
    Po-32 tonic plugged into the 2nd Input of my cakewalk ua25ex with a 3.5mm cable.

• jabok r

is the bundle still available? am i just too stupid to find it?

• Magnus Lidström

- jabok r wrote:
    is the bundle still available? am i just too stupid to find it?

Not at the moment, sorry. Teenage are working on bringing back a bundle to their shop soon. Until then we can offer a discount on Microtonic to Tonic owners: https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/951-po-32-redemption-code

• EnochLight

I find that I wear my PO-32 like a necklace... almost everyday at my office job LOL! It's so nice to be able to start banging out a beat as I walk though the park on lunch.

• ioai

Hi! Is there a way to transfer a pattern from Patternariun to PO32 with ipad?

• Magnus Lidström

- ioai wrote:
    Hi! Is there a way to transfer a pattern from Patternariun to PO32 with ipad?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Patternarium generate beats for Microtonic. While PO-32 and Microtonic are very similar their features do not overlap 100%. To transfer patterns from Patternarium to PO-32 you need to copy & paste them into Microtonic, then either manually edit them to get four PO-32 compatible voices only or use the automatic "optimize for PO-32" function.

Finally, Patternarium isn't compatible with iPad at the moment because it was built with Flash (about seven years ago IIRC). A HTML only version is quite high on our priority list right now.

• DiGiTaL CuRReNCy Crypto Tips

Hi,

All i can say is that if there was a mobile android or iOS app that could save/restore your projects from the PO32 and maybe have a tab for the Patternarium then i would even pay a couple of bucks for this so is there any news on this?

• Viteb

Hi,

It seems that when transferring patterns from MTonic to PO-32, playing with the B knob does not cause any effect to the specific sound. Default sounds though work correctly. Am i missing something?

thanks in advance.

• Richard W

- Viteb wrote:
    Hi,
    It seems that when transferring patterns from MTonic to PO-32, playing with the B knob does not cause any effect to the specific sound. Default sounds though work correctly. Am i missing something?
    thanks in advance.

Yes you need to save both the a and b point for each sound.

• David Florer

many thanks to the Sonic Charge team...

• DruMunkey

I'm late to the game, but finally picked up a Tonic. Great device. Nice work.

Pro-tip: When sending tone from uTonic to PO-32, taking off all the delay and reverb on the track REALLY helps the transfer actually work...

Yea, I'm "that" guy. :)

• Nick Merwin

Hi all, I realize this thread is about to turn 2 but the MT will never get old.

Couple questions:

1) Has there been any development toward loading PO32 dumps into Microtonic?
    2) Is there a Microtonic preset available that contains (or approximates) the PO32 factory setting sounds?

Thanks.

• Bichuelo Audiotecna

- Nick Merwin wrote:
    Hi all, I realize this thread is about to turn 2 but the MT will never get old.
    Couple questions:
    1) Has there been any development toward loading PO32 dumps into Microtonic?
    2) Is there a Microtonic preset available that contains (or approximates) the PO32 factory setting sounds?
    Thanks.

I would like to know both of these as well!

• retika gore

I'm in a comparable situation, purchased the pack as I couldn't pause yet as of now have Microtonic. I'm mindful licenses can be exchanged, however thinking about whether conceivable perhaps to trade straightforwardly for another module, for example, Synplant or a voucher code to use in the store?

• Dominik Painsi

is ther a way to upgrade the normal PO32 to the PO and uTonic Bundle?

• Fredrik Lidström

- Dominik Painsi wrote:
    is ther a way to upgrade the normal PO32 to the PO and uTonic Bundle?

https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/976-microtonic-po-32-tonic-bundle

Page 2 of 2

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.