"Thank you for the Music!"

Nils-Erik Johansson960 views2 posts
  • Nils-Erik Johansson

Hello there!

Im born 1972, lives in a red house with white corners in a little town called Boden not that far away from the arctic circle together with my wife and two kids. I have made music since i was 16 and the reason for that is that i got a bloody Roland D-20 instead of a moped or an Amiga 500. One thing lead to another and i bought myself an Atari ST with Cubase and started to make music and dj:ing, because back then it wasn´t cool, it was the proper thing to do for a nerd. :)

The older i grew, the more money i earned, the more hardware i bought, the lesser music i produced and then around the year of 1999, at the top of my mountain of hardware instruments with TR-909, SH-101, a lot of samplers, synths etc Propellerhead Software showed Reason 1.0.

That moment actually changed my musical life. I started to sell everything i had bought in hardware and all of a sudden, i started to make music, and even music that i thought was good but nothing that i played for someone. I converted to Apple 2003 and then i also stopped using warez. I upgraded my Cubase to SX1 -> SX2 -> SX3 and then i sold Cubase and went to Logic 7 just because it had so much plugins and because Cubase wasn´t that great on the G5. I then started to get more and more plugins, and made lesser and lesser music and the history was repeating itself once again. I upgraded my Reason license to 2 - 2.5 - 3 and one year after everybody else to version 4.

I read some review of Microtonic and thought "Cool, a plug that is cheap, a plug that is Swedish, a plug made by the guy who made Malström AND Typhoon, the mythical operating system for my, since many years before that, dead Sampler TX16W". I gotta buy it now! The problem was that it was for W I N D O W S only and also VST. WTF?!?

Well, i made lesser and lesser music with Logic and then, i don´t remember what year, i saw that the Tin Tonic edition of Microtonic was on a Christmas sale so i convinced my wife that i needed that for a Christmas present and i ordered it as the only present i really liked that year. When i got it it became some sort of vitamin injection for my music production. I started to use MT in Logic and Reason rewired and instead of just 8 bar loops, i started to make music. Music that i actually let anyone else listen to.

Since that day i have been inspired by Microtonic and also Synplant. These two synths is the only Reason i don´t use 100% Propellerhead products when making music. Microtonic and Synplant have given me so much musically inspiration so to phrase ABBA, another Swedish brand:

"Thank you for the Music!"

Well, i really love those products so words are not enough. Thanks once again!

/Nisse aka Funky Atom aka Abstract Assassinator
    ( aka sounds cool btw ;) )

• Koshdukai

Awesome read, Nisse!

10 years later... With Reason capable of hosting uTonic+Synplant, did you switch over completely or are you now using Reason as a VST?

Just curious :)

And thank you for sharing your wonderful music making story!

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.