An Idea for Microtonic : Waveshaper for the oscillator ?

Cédric Buron2 517 views7 posts
  • Cédric Buron

i know the good thing about Microtonic is its simplicity so there's no place for a second oscillator
    but it can be cool to see in the oscillator voice a waveshaper ( with one knob to control it ) ? ;)

HK

• Magnus Lidström

- Human Koala wrote:
    i know the good thing about Microtonic is its simplicity so there's no place for a second oscillator
    but it can be cool to see in the oscillator voice a waveshaper ( with one knob to control it ) ? ;)
    HK

Do you mean like having a variable waveform instead of three fixed or do you mean having a waveshaper after the envelope and velocity control? The distortion in MicroTonic is a waveshaper (a proprietary saturation shape), but it is placed after the mix (before the eq). Depending on where you place a shaper and what shape(s) you offer it will sound completely different.

• Cédric Buron

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Do you mean like having a variable waveform instead of three fixed or do you mean having a waveshaper after the envelope and velocity control? The distortion in MicroTonic is a waveshaper (a proprietary saturation shape), but it is placed after the mix (before the eq). Depending on where you place a shaper and what shape(s) you offer it will sound completely different.

a waveshaper before enveloppe and velocity for a variable waveform choice actually it doesn't have to change with volume change but it can use as start material the three initial waveform
    my reference for the wavefolder is the modular stg one but i think it need a special one tuned for percusssion

YouTube Video

that's just an idea of course

HK

• DAVID AKNIN

Sinevibes is doing that with some of these plugs ;-)

• Magnus Lidström

- Human Koala wrote:
    my reference for the wavefolder is the modular stg one but i think it need a special one tuned for percusssion

Looks awesome. :) Wave-shaping (that extreme) in software is far from trivial to get alias-free, though I have actually explored some interesting techniques lately. In Synplant I am actually creating smooth variable waveforms by wave-shaping sine oscillators.

(Concerning feature requests in general I just wrote my feelings about them in this topic.)

• Cédric Buron

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Looks awesome. :) Wave-shaping (that extreme) in software is far from trivial to get alias-free, though I have actually explored some interesting techniques lately. In Synplant I am actually creating smooth variable waveforms by wave-shaping sine oscillators.
    (Concerning feature requests in general I just wrote my feelings about them in this topic.)

For the feature i can live without it, so it is not really a request but just some proposition :D

HK

• Magnus Lidström

- Human Koala wrote:
    For the feature i can live without it, so it is not really a request but just some proposition :D
    HK

Sure. Don't misunderstand me. I love hearing people's thoughts and suggestions. I just wanted to explain why you will rarely hear a definite yes or no on a feature suggestion.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.