Cyclone Emulator

Yish1 489 views3 posts
  • Yish

So am I correct in assuming Cyclone itself can be loaded with a different OS than just Typhoon, albeit one created around the emulated hardware Specs?

(Just to be clear I don't mean by the user, but by you the programmer.)

This thing sounds like what I thought the VST samplers were supposed to sound like(the Hardware samplers without the hardware, o_O!). I think if it was possible to up this to 16 bit it would still sound totally different than every soft-sampler on the market. It feels/sounds like my MPC2500, that undeniable machine sound ive come to love and have been chasing in VST.

This is truly a first!

• Magnus Lidström

- Yish wrote:
    So am I correct in assuming Cyclone itself can be loaded with a different OS than just Typhoon, albeit one created around the emulated hardware Specs?
    (Just to be clear I don't mean by the user, but by you the programmer.)

Yes. By default Cyclone starts up with a built-in boot floppy, but it is possible to designate another image file with a config file next to the plug-in. It won't work with the Yamaha OS though, as I mention in the FAQ. The Yamaha OS uses features of the TX16W that I couldn't / didn't want to emulate.

It is not a very easy platform to develop for though. Old CPU, lots of peculiar hardware limitations. Up-side to the idea of making a new OS for it though is that whatever Cyclone runs should be runnable in a real hardware TX16W as well. :)

• porterclark

do you have any helpful documentation for programming the thing? or know much of the history of 3rd party utilities or programs for the tx16w hardware- there might have been games for the LCD?

found what is pretty good starting point (youngmonkey's tx16w tech document) but wondering how difficult it would be to make a ocillator or wave processor or weird delay. maybe to interface with eurorack or something...

came across the ENOX disk utility but maybe you know more about what else was out there 15 years ago

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.