μTonic feature request

Softcore2 177 views7 posts
  • Softcore

As it has been noted by other users too, right now there are two possible ways to MIDI map μTonic

1. By using the native mapping the plug in offers which results in poor bi-drectional communication with your midi controller - not only there is no feedback on the controls mapped, but also you cant map individual parameters for each drum slot (for example you cant have one knob to set slot1-OSCdecay and a seperate knob to have slot2-OSCdecay)

2.By using the host's midi mapping operation which essentially maps whatever parameter of μTonic is exposed as automatable. Now this one exposes far more controls (you can for example midi map each drum slot's parameter individually - in other words, you can midi map OSC-Noise mix fader of slot 1, slot 2, and so on)

Choosing the second method you can have detailed bi-directional communication between controller - μTonic - ΕXCEPT a known incident in Ableton Live as a host: using the morph fader or changing presets by midi the controls on the controller are not updated.

Now here come's the interesting part - and my feature request! I recently bought a superb iOS app called "Lemur" - this, for those not knowing is an application based on an original hardware unit with which you could design your own touch surface controllers. Needless to say the posibilities are endless and one of the first things I dreamed of, was hands on control of my favorite μTonic.

To give you an idea here is what is possible to achieve with this app - the following is my dream come true - HANDS ON MTONIC

http://liine.net/en/...brary/view/244/

Of course the initial drawbacks still apply to this design! The above surface is to be used with the native mapping system of mTonic (a preset mapping is also included) OR you can go the host-specific mapping operation (which I have gone through) and have seperate pages of controls for each drum slot individually (and also get bi-directional communication)

But the other thing Id like to see implemented to have a fully functional mTonic at my fingertips would be a way to midi map each step (of the 16) of each slot (so a total of 8x16) to midi notes so that I could design the total mTonic-lemur interface complete with (now impossible to create) pattern steps editing.

I wouldnt bother tiring the developers about all this but I just read that MIDI CC out is a posibility considered so I would like to let them know that IF by any chance they do implement it, they might as well implement MIDI control for each step individually - for example C1 controls Slot 1 first step, C1# controls Slot1 second step and so on. Look again at what is posible with Lemur and you will realize what a wonderful LIVE DRUM SYNTH mTonic would become with these feature additions.

Thanks for your time reading this!

• Softcore

Correction: it is posible to use the native mTonic midi mapping system to have different controls for different drum slots - there is a relevant option in the midi config dialogue.

Meanwhile I've hit another brickwall by using Ableton Live's MidiLearn fucntion to map my controls - only a maximum of 128 parameters of a plug in can be mapped to a controller via Live's mapping feature - thus making the feature of bi-directional communication in mTonic natively an even more desired addition.

• Magnus Lidström

- Softcore wrote:
    Correction: it is posible to use the native mTonic midi mapping system to have different controls for different drum slots - there is a relevant option in the midi config dialogue.

Yes, I was about to reply on this, but you found it yourself before I had the chance.

I can reveal that I am soon finished with Microtonic v3.1. It is a minor upgrade with 64-bit compatibility as the main objective. However, I am also adding a few features to MIDI mapping that I am sure you will appreciate.

Meanwhile I've hit another brickwall by using Ableton Live's MidiLearn fucntion to map my controls - only a maximum of 128 parameters of a plug in can be mapped to a controller via Live's mapping feature - thus making the feature of bi-directional communication in mTonic natively an even more desired addition.

There is a bigger problem here and that is the limitation of 128 different CC numbers on a single MIDI channel. Some hosts will allow a plug-in to receive and transmit MIDI on several channels. Live doesn't. You can add MIDI receive tracks for every channel and route those to one Microtonic, but you can afaik never have a single Microtonic transmit MIDI to multiple MIDI out channels via Live. So even if Microtonic supports MIDI CC out (which it very well might do soon :) ) there will always be limitations in Live that you can not overcome.

• amp

Awesome news on the midi features! My last request for 3.1 is a november discount for new uTonic customers (been waiting for x64 a long time) :)

• Lazylefteye

- M-C-S wrote:
    Awesome news on the midi features! My last request for 3.1 is a november discount for new uTonic customers (been waiting for x64 a long time) :)

Why should new customers get a discount?
    The true customers buy the plug-ins at the price they are.
    The prices are very fair in my opinion. :D

• Fredrik Lidström

We decided from the start to always give all new customers a discount by setting a low price. :P

Historically the price of our plug-ins have only increased as we make upgrades, add features and content. At the same time, upgrades and content has always been free for existing customers. The best time to buy one of our products, should always be right now, unless you can go back in time. =)

We very rarely do discounts and if we do we try to make sure that existing customers gets a benefit from it as well, like when we release a new product.

In short: We do not have any discounts planned for this year, sorry.

• Softcore

Forgot to come back and check for posible replies! Great news about the upcoming update! Thanks again!!!

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.