Synplant patches have all been reset. Help please!

Nicolas Silvestri104 views16 posts
  • Nicolas Silvestri

Hi there! I recently reopened an FL Studio project that I created not too long ago and noticed that all of the instances of Synplant had defaulted to the same exact patch sound, despite me creating multiple unique patches myself. I went back to check previous project files, and EVERY instance of Synplant in every project file that I checked had reset to the same patch sound. I have no idea how to recover the patches I had made, could anyone provide me some help please?

• Magnus Lidström

From the top of my head, the only reason I can think of is that there has been a mixup of Synplant versions 1 and 2. If your host tries to load Synplant 1 for projects saved with Synplant 2, Synplant 1 will show up with a default patch.

I assume you run Windows, so maybe you should start by uninstalling our products. Then, search for and erase all files named Synplant.dll under your Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories. Then, reinstall Synplant 2 only and check again.

• Nicolas Silvestri

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    From the top of my head, the only reason I can think of is that there has been a mixup of Synplant versions 1 and 2. If your host tries to load Synplant 1 for projects saved with Synplant 2, Synplant 1 will show up with a default patch.
    I assume you run Windows, so maybe you should start by uninstalling our products. Then, search for and erase all files named Synplant.dll under your Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories. Then, reinstall Synplant 2 only and check again.

Thanks for the reply! For context, I do own both versions but have only been using Synplant 2 ever since it came out with no issues. The projects I referenced in my post appear to load as Synplant 2, as I don't think version 1 is even installed anymore. Will be giving this a try anyways!

• Nicolas Silvestri

Okay I've got an update with more context to what I think the issue is, but am still a bit lost. I won't get into specifics but I recently had to remove one of my hard drives. All of the data on the drive that was removed got transferred to a new drive. Synplant was installed on that old hard drive, and all the files are now on the new hard drive. Correct me if you think otherwise, but it seems to me that the program is getting confused as to where to find those new files. How can I reroute Synplant to all of that old information that has now moved to a new location?

• AAV

Open the file browser, click on the "User Patches" button at the bottom of the browser. This will let you see where the plugin is currently expecting your User Patches to be. Navigate to where you actually have them and save a patch to that location. That should update the location of your User Patches to that location.

• Nicolas Silvestri

- AAV wrote:
    Open the file browser, click on the "User Patches" button at the bottom of the browser. This will let you see where the plugin is currently expecting your User Patches to be. Navigate to where you actually have them and save a patch to that location. That should update the location of your User Patches to that location.

Sorry, what file browser are you referring to? I can't seem to find that option anywhere.

• AAV

Check page 12 of the manual.
    Here's the pertinent text from the manual:

"Patch File Browser When you choose to open a patch, a familiar MacOS/Windows file browser will appear, but with added functionalities. Firstly, you can preview any patch instantly by clicking it and playing it using your MIDI keyboard without loading it into the plug-in and closing the browser. Secondly, two buttons at the bottom allow quick navigation between the “Factory Patches” and “User Patches” folders. The “User Patches” folder initially defaults to a location under your “user folder,” but if you save a patch to a different folder, it will update to that location. Inside the “Factory Patches” folder, you’ll find sub-folders organized as follows: All Contains every available factory patch. By Category Patches are sorted into categories like Basses, Pads, etc. By Creator By Package Patches are organized by their creators. Patches are grouped based on their respective sound packages."

• AAV

Post back if you're still unsure or if this doesn't get you sorted.

• Nicolas Silvestri

Thank you! So this did solve something, but not the main problem. Before trying this, I wasn't seeing anything in the patch browser at all, none of the Factory Patches or anything. After clicking the "browse patches" option and finding where the factory patches were saved and loading one, they all showed up again in the patch browser. Unfortunately this did not fix anything with my User Patches. I also realized that my saved presets are still showing up in my external presets dropdown as seen in the picture, but when I try loading them nothing happens at all. (also worth noting: these preset files I can only find on my machine as "Fruity Wrapper Envelopes", not .synp files).

To restate & elaborate a bit on the main issue I'm having, all instances of Synplant on every project that exists on my PC are loading as the most recent patch I've selected, rather than whatever patch I had created and originally saved in that project. This changes as I adjust the loaded patch in new projects as well. Here's an example to try to make it as clear as possible:

Project-File-A was made in January of 2024. In this project file, I loaded an instance of Synplant and created my own sound in the synth, which I'll call Patch-C. Now, 9 months later, I reopen Project-File-A and the Patch-C has been overwritten to Patch-Z, which is an entirely new sound. I then make a new project file, "Project-File-B", load Synplant and load a Factory Patch which I will call Patch-D. Upon reopening Project-File-A again, I find that the Patch-Z has now changed to Patch-D, and am still unable to find what happened to the original Patch-C which I am trying to get back.

Screenshot_4.png

I hope that helps with clarity! Thank you so much for all of the assistance you've given me so far!

• AAV

The Fruity Wrapper is what FL Studio uses for all plugins to interact with FL Studio (both FL Native plugs and VSTi/VST (2 & 3)). It sounds like you have been saving the presets in the FL format, and when your hard drive was swapped out, the location of those files changed from where FLS expects them to be. I use Studio One so can't personally advise on how to resolve this but I am guessing the FL Wrapper utilty has a similar file locate/save function that would allow you to tell FLS where the preset files are located now.

• Nicolas Silvestri

And that's the part that is really confusing me - I HAVE those preset files, they just will no longer load into Synplant as they would before. I even made a new patch sound, saved it to the same location as all of my old presets, and the new one would load in no problem in a new instance of Synplant while the others will yield absolutely nothing when trying to load them.

• Nicolas Silvestri

I feel I've tried everything I can and am completely lost at this point... I reinstalled Synplant and FL Studio itself, I have all of my files from my old hard drive and everything. This is only an issue that is happening with Synplant; all of my presets for things like Serum and Portal are working completely fine. I'm really stressing out about this as I work professionally with this stuff, and I've been at a standstill since this issue came up. Synplant is my main synth, and currently it seems like every project I've ever used Synplant in is irreversibly overwritten, not even my backups are working.

• AAV

I only ever save my presets in Synplant itself, which is the same strategy I use for all of my projects, and all soft synths. Then save the project in the DAW (Studio One for me). I've changed DAWs in the past and this has always given me the ability to move my plugin presets into the new (or updated )DAW. As you know, the DAW's presets and the Synths are not the same thing, and you generally can't open one in the other. I am far, far from any kind of an expert (in general, but least if all in FLS that I know next to nothing about) but it sounds like you need to open the FL wrapper presets you saved in the FL wrapper. Maybe try posting on an Image line forum for help. I think you are still convinced this is a Synplant issue, but it sounds like an FLS issue to me. Sorry and best of luck.

• Magnus Lidström

- Nicolas Silvestri wrote:
    Project-File-A was made in January of 2024. In this project file, I loaded an instance of Synplant and created my own sound in the synth, which I'll call Patch-C. Now, 9 months later, I reopen Project-File-A and the Patch-C has been overwritten to Patch-Z, which is an entirely new sound. I then make a new project file, "Project-File-B", load Synplant and load a Factory Patch which I will call Patch-D. Upon reopening Project-File-A again, I find that the Patch-Z has now changed to Patch-D, and am still unable to find what happened to the original Patch-C which I am trying to get back.

It sounds like the patches are not loading back properly, but instead Synplant starts with the last used patch. If you are willing to send one of your old project files (original, without re-saving it) to support@soniccharge.com I will take a look at the data to see if there is anything weird going on.

• Nicolas Silvestri

That would be super helpful, thank you so much. I'll look for an old project file that has multiple instances of Synplant and send it over in a bit.

• Nicolas Silvestri

Great news, it's fixed!!! I'm not really sure why what I did fixed the problem exactly, but I'll explain it here anyways in case anyone else ever runs across the same issue.

I was working in a separate project when I noticed that some of my effect plugins weren't loading properly. I went into FL's Plugin Manager and added the folder of where I knew at least one of the missing plugins was. (In my case, the folder directory that I added was the Program Files folder of my new drive.) This fixed my problem of the non-loading plugins, and upon reopening the project file, I just happened to notice that my instances of Synplant in that file were working completely normally as well. I then checked the FLPs that I was having issues with earlier this week and everything is back to normal!

I would understand why this fixed it if Synplant was also not loading at all, but I could still use the synth just with all of my past saved patches being overwritten. Oh well, I'm just glad that the problem is solved. Thanks everyone for all of your help!! :)

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.