'Randomize Instructions' button for Permut8

amp6 687 views32 posts
  • amp

I have to admit it. Maybe 90% of all my interactions with Permut8 is opening the menu and choosing 'Randomize Instructions'. I can't be the only one who is dying for the most used button to actually be on the GUI with the other stuff instead of having to go through a menu? :)

Another option is to have a keyboard shortcut for it maybe?

• Michael Forshaw

hit shift and the permut8 menu button together

• amp

The reason that doesn't really work for me and I'd like a single-click, mouse-only solution is that with Permut8 being so experimental I usually play an instrument into a mic or a midi controller of some kind with my left hand while tweaking effect parameters with my right hand (mouse). Having to devote both hands to make this simple command is not impossible but it makes it about as slow as going to the menu with the mouse. Everyone who's done this kind of quick sound browsing knows that speed is very important, to others it probably sounds like a very minor niggle.

• Fredrik Lidström

Hey there, I have put together a random button DIY kit. It consists of a simple push button and two wires that can be connected to the circuit board inside your Permut8.

RandomButton-Kit.png
    Done Right.png
    Kit contentInstalled

To install the button, you just have to download the .zip package below, and then take the "Permut8 Resources" folder inside and drop it right next to your Permut8 plugin. Here are the default paths for the following installations.

Mac.png

Mac Audio Unit
    /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components
    Mac VST
    /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST/Sonic Charge

Windows.png

Windows
    C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns\Sonic Charge

UPDATE: New download posted further down

UPDATE AGAIN: These hacks have been updated for our latest versions (April 2020) http://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/1617-randomize-button-hacks-for-permut8-and-echobode-updated

👇 UPDATED AGAIN and AGAIN (December 2022)
    https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/2187

• Steve Blacker

Ha ha! Love it!

• Troels Nygaard

This is nice :)

• AB459

Thanks.

• amp

__,,,__ 
                   ,-""-,-"       "-,-""-, 
                  /,-' , .-'-.7.-'-. , '-,\ 
                  \(    /  _     _  \    )/ 
                   '-,  { (0)   (0) }  ,-' 
                    /    >  .---.  <    \ 
                   |/ .-'   \___/   '-. \| 
                   {, /  ,_       _,  \ ,} 
                   \ {,    \     /    ,} / 
                    ',\.    '---'    ./,' 
                _.-""""""-._     _.-""""""-._ 
              .'            `._.`            '. 
            _/_               _                \ 
         .'`   `\            | |                \ 
        /        |           | |                 ; 
        |        /           |_|                 | 
        \  ;'---'    _    ___  _  _  ___         ; 
         '. ;       | |  /   \| || ||  _|     _ ; 
           `-\      | |_ | | || |/ /|  _|   .' `, 
              `\    |___|\___/ \__/ |___|  |     \ 
                \            _ _           \     | 
                 `\         | | |         /`   _/ 
       ,-""-.    .'`\       | | |       /`-,-'` .-""-, 
      /      `\.'    `\     \___/     /`    './`      \ 
     ;  .--.   \       '\           /'       /   .--.  ; 
     | (    \   |,       '\       /'        |   /    ) | 
      \ ;    }             ;\   /;         `   {    ; / 
       `;\   \         _.-'  \ /  `-._         /   /;` 
         \ \__.'   _.-'       Y       `-._    '.__// 
          '.___,.-'                       `-.,___.'

• Dave

hah thats proper brilliant

• Aaron Urbanski

This is awesome! Is there any way for this to be added as a true VST parameter, for automation and MIDI mapping?

• Lazylefteye

I like it.
    Thanks.

• Steve Lampert

Thanks so much!

• Steven Lattimer

Now that's customer service!

• Morgan Greenwood

- urbster1 wrote:
    This is awesome! Is there any way for this to be added as a true VST parameter, for automation and MIDI mapping?

I second this request!! Is this a possibility? I'm tryin to work it into my live set and would loooove the random button to have midi mapping ability...

• Philip Clinckspoor

It takes a very adventurous man to use the randomize button in a live set :)

• J. Pablo Arceo

God I've just discovered this, it's awesome!! Brilliant Frederik! you guys never stop to amaze me. thank you.

• Chris Rose

Awesome.....many thanks!

• Matt Parker

Is it just me?

Randomise button no longer appears since installing the latest update (which is an awesome update by the way!!!!)

• Chris R Gibson

- varikusbrainz wrote:
    Is it just me?

Randomise button no longer appears since installing the latest update (which is an awesome update by the way!!!!)

Same here (OSX 10.6.8 AU)

• Björn Lundberg

Where's the zip file? :(

• Fredrik Lidström

Ah, yes. this file attachment did not survive the forum post migration. The kit was actually outdated and did not work with the latest version of Permut8. I have had an update on my todo list for a very very long time now. I'll try to get around to it this weekend.

• Mr Spanish

Could be great to have it back ! I missed this when you submitted it on the forum.
    I'd like to experiment with that kind of feature. Randomization from the menu is not as easy/fast as having a switch on the main panel. After all, Permut8 is also about positive
    accidents... ^^
    Also would it be possible to have that kind of option in Echobode too ? (sorry to be a bit out of topic)

• Chris R Gibson

Thanks Fredrik :)
    For the future would you please consider 'front panel access' randomization on all your products (like Microtonic, etc) as quick randomization is especially fruitful on your particular products for exploration of the possibilities ;-)

• Magnus Lidström

Choose "Randomize" once from the main menu, then shift-click the main menu button to repeat randomizing until you find something you like. Shift-clicking for repetition actually works for all functions in our products. It is also useful for things like shifting patterns left / right, undo / redo etc...

• dreddiknight

Hi, any chance of getting the randomize button back? or has this already happened, and I'm just slow to the party...?

• e@rs

+1 for a Random button on the GUI of all your products. When you need some fast inspiration (or you're bored) going through the main menu to reach it doesn't seem so nice.

• Fredrik Lidström

Now I am done with the new random button kit. I also created an Echobode version.

The old "Permut8 Resources" folder is no longer supported, it is now called Permut8 V1.1 Resources (or Echobode V1.0 Resources). They still go next to your plugin installation as decribed in my original post above.

RandomButton-kit.zip(126kB, 1374 downloads)

• Dave

nice one

the shift click is nice but these buttons are really handy

• Steve Lampert

Way late to the random button update party here but thanks much.

• Magnus Lidström

These hacks have been updated for our latest versions (April 2020): http://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/1617-randomize-button-hacks-for-permut8-and-echobode-updated

• JBDS1

hy can i add this button to microtonic ? thank you

• C.A.P.

- JBDS1 wrote:
    hy can i add this button to microtonic ? thank you

https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/1617-randomize-button-hacks-for-permut8-and-echobode-updated

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.