Why is Genopatch using 100% CPU?

Fredrik Lidström101 views1 post
  • Fredrik Lidström

Why is Genopatch in Synplant 2 using 100% CPU? This is strange as it is the first software to give me this problem.

No worries, it's not a problem. Your CPU is designed to be able to run at 100% for long periods of time. There's even overheat protection built in, if your CPU fan should stop, the CPU will reduce performance to not overheat and at extreme temperature it will shut down to protect components.

If you're used to running high computational tasks like 3D rendering, or video rendering and compression, you're used to seeing high CPU load. Anything less than 100% generally means there's an I/O bottleneck somewhere that makes the process take longer than needed.

Many in the music industry relate high CPU to something bad, because high CPU load can have effect on audio not being able to keep up and then the sound stutters. We've tried to make sure Genopatch runs at a low priority. Under normal situations it should not interfere with your other tasks, but this depends on your system. Generally we don't recommend running Genopatch in live performance situations.

What Genopatch does is run the sound engine in Synplant 2 at hyper-speed, rendering hundreds or even thousands of sounds per second*. This is one of the reasons the sound engine is designed to be extremely CPU efficient. The more efficient we could build the engine, the faster Genopatch could run. The added benefit to this is that once Genopatch stops searching, you will notice that actually playing the patches is very CPU light. You can add multiple instances of Synplant 2 to your song without any problems at all.

* Press the (i) in the Genopatch waveform display for statistics.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.