Genopatch - Generated Two Identical Patches in Succession

NextDAW86 views5 posts
  • NextDAW

Genopatch generated two identical patches, complete with matching patch names, right next to each other in the same branch.

I haven't noticed this happening before. But then again, I haven't been looking out for it.

I just wondered, is this a rare event. Or does it simply mean that Genopatch couldn't find a better solution than the one it had previously generated on that particular branch, and so proposed the same patch?

This isn't a complaint or a bug report. I'm just curious to know the reason why it did that in this particular case. Did this ever occur during the testing of the Genopatch algorithm?

Two Identical Patches Right Next to Each Other wish exact same n

cls_125 2798034557_A.synplant(2.57kB, 86 downloads)

cls_125 2798034557_B.synplant(2.57kB, 86 downloads)

• jayuhfree

Wow, this would seem like confirmatiion of a robust search path system at the very least. It's an interestingly similar path.

• NextDAW

- jayuhfree wrote:
    Wow, this would seem like confirmatiion of a robust search path system at the very least. It's an interestingly similar path.

I should probably clarify that these two snapshots are both from the same Genopatch cycle. i.e. those top two patches on that third strand were generated one after the other consecutively from the same strand.

I only posted two separate snapshots to illustrate how both patches also generated the exact same patch name as one another (as I believe both where identically created ~ if that is how it works?).

• Magnus Lidström

Your observation and conclusion are correct, NextDAW. 👏

If at the end of the strain (after 10000 iterations), there is not a single solution that is better than the last solution shown, it will end with a copy of this solution. I wanted the strains to always end with a solution to show that the search has ended and this is the final answer.

It's so rare that I didn't think of trying to make this more intuitive in the user interface. I don't know exactly what I could do, though. I don't want to move the solution. 😉

• NextDAW

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Your observation and conclusion are correct, NextDAW. 👏
    If at the end of the strain (after 10000 iterations), there is not a single solution that is better than the last solution shown, it will end with a copy of this solution. I wanted the strains to always end with a solution to show that the search has ended and this is the final answer.
    It's so rare that I didn't think of trying to make this more intuitive in the user interface. I don't know exactly what I could do, though. I don't want to move the solution. 😉

That's good to know. And yes, this was the first time I had observed this occurring.

I don't think there's any need to change anything, since the fact that the generated filenames are also identical, is enough to notify the user that both patches are the same. Which is what initially alerted me to the fact.

Since, I liked both generated patches and couldn't decide which to save (in retrospect, because they were the same, lol!), so decided to save both patches. At which point, I was (of course) prompted that this patch already existed (since the second patch name was the same as the one I had previously saved) and upon closer inspection it became self-evident.

Anyway, thank you for the confirmation and explanation why this (rare) event occurs. 👍

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.