What is Permut8?

Magnus Lidström10 727 views21 posts
  • Magnus Lidström

Next Monday we are releasing Permut8, our first entirely new VST / AudioUnit since Bitspeek last year. Many of you have seen and solved the puzzle we put up earlier (524 to be precise) and you can listen to some examples on our home page right now. Now I think it is about time to do a little introduction.

Permut8 is an effect that can take on many forms. It is one of those products that is hard to describe in a couple of sentences. The kind that a marketing department would hate (luckily we have no marketing department at Sonic Charge). It excels in digital noises of all kinds, but can also sound warm and lush. It can do conventional delay effects and it can create circuit bent mayhem from hell. Perhaps more important than what it does is how it does it. Permut8 gives you a number of primitive operators that you combine in different ways to manipulate the playback position on a delay-line. This runs on an imaginary vintage digital processor with 12-bit A/D D/A conversion and variable clock frequency from 0 to 352kHz. On top of this you will find a number of "analog" components for filtering, limiting, saturation and more.

Did that sound complicated? Permut8 is complicated, but it is also a product that is designed for experimentation and happy accidents, and boy do they happen often. Bring your crash helmet.

To give you a better understanding of what Permut8 is capable of I have uploaded a break down of the demo track we used for the teaser puzzle. The track is called Obliter8. It uses only MicroTonic, Synplant and Permut8. Here is the complete song:

obliter8 by malstrom

And here is the break down where you can hear some clips without and with Permut8:

obliter8dissection by malstrom

Enjoy!

The price?

$66 (+ VAT where applicable).

/ Magnus

Edit: do check out Elan Hicklers insane Permut8 terror in the comments. "That's nasty!!"

• Elan Hickler

permut8-8-00-tweak-demo by elanhickler

Here's my demo if you're looking for something a little more INSANE!!!

• Magnus Lidström

- Elan Hickler wrote:
    permut8-8-00-tweak-demo by elanhickler
    Here's my demo if you're looking for something a little more INSANE!!!

THAT'S NASTY! :)

Love it! I'll edit my post.

• anonymous

sigh

This sounds FREAKING INCREDIBLE!!! You are seriously making me want to pick up an inexpensive VST host just so I can buy this... instead of waiting patiently for a Rack Extension version to appear. :D

• DAVID AKNIN

very interesting new tool guy i I will wait for a demo to check it out.
    I'm impressed !

ps: makes me think about OTTO in some ways

• anonymous

can i hope for a RE version of Permut8???

• Magnus Lidström

- Stocker wrote:
    can i hope for a RE version of Permut8???

You can for sure. Just as much as I hope for an update of the RE SDK so that we can implement it fully.

It was actually designed with Reason in mind, but Propellerheads cut some corners for the RE 1.0 release (I don't blame them, it is a huge undertaking), so we switched focus and made it VST/AU only for now.

• Carsten Johannesen

Hi guys

This looks extreeemly useful.

A question:
    does it have sync to host tempo. I didn't really notice the labels or buttons after i solved the puzzle :-( maybe you could post the interface picture somewhere?

• Magnus Lidström

- Carsten Johannesen wrote:
    does it have sync to host tempo.

Yes. A lot of the effects you hear in the demo player on our home page are synchronized, and so are the ones in Obliter8.

• Steve Naumovski

Sounds cool - but it's still hard to work out exactly what Permut8 is doing and what is non-Permut8 sounds. Maybe a video might help? Either that, or I'll wait for demo...

• Magnus Lidström

- n0rd wrote:
    Sounds cool - but it's still hard to work out exactly what Permut8 is doing and what is non-Permut8 sounds. Maybe a video might help? Either that, or I'll wait for demo...

Did you observe the time-line comments in "Obliter8 Dissection"? Every segment is the same audio with and without Permut8. But yes, the demo will be up on Monday so you don't have to wait long. :)

• anonymous

Where is permut8???????

• karim chibah

Any way of cross grading , I own bits peek and synplant

• Magnus Lidström

- karim chibah wrote:
    Any way of cross grading , I own bits peek and synplant

Yes. There is a discount for you. Provided that you still use the same email address you will receive an email with information today. Contact us otherwise.

• AB459

Magnus, Does the number of earlier purchased products at discount? :rolleyes:

• Magnus Lidström

- Ant9 wrote:
    Magnus, Does the number of earlier purchased products at discount? :rolleyes:

The discount is the same for all customers regardless of how many products he / she has bought. Did that answer your question?

• AB459

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    The discount is the same for all customers regardless of how many products he / she has bought. Did that answer your question?

A, yes yes, already understand how it work. Thanks.

• AB459

Already bought without a test )) all of your unusual.

UPD
    Really interesting thing) Among other, can be used as a various technical ambiences generator.

• anonymous

I will have to demo this for a while. I don't get the concept or in what context I can apply this as I am not into noise generators per se.

Cheers,
    Gordon

• AB459

beardedone
    (Sorry, poor knowledge of English.)
    But, if the question is "how to generate noise" or something - the easiest way: just set Level and Mix knobs (in Output section) to maximum.

• Magnus Lidström

- beardedone wrote:
    I will have to demo this for a while. I don't get the concept or in what context I can apply this as I am not into noise generators per se.
    Cheers,
    Gordon

Sure. Glad you are interested. Take your time with the demo. Although Permut8 may appeal mostly to people who likes digital noises, it is capable of more than that. For instance did you check the audio demo called "Permut8 Tones". It shows Permut8 being played with MIDI like a synth. Also, did you see the program bank called "Sonic Charge Basic.p8bank". It contains some more "well behaved" effects, although they are also generated with the simulation of old digital technology. So regardless of how you use Permut8, it will add some color to your sound through saturation, noise and resampling. It tries to capture the imperfects in old hardware that makes it sound so very different from current day plug-ins.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.