Feature request: per-branch gene editing

Michael // MSLD81 views3 posts
  • Michael // MSLD

I've been like a mad scientist the past few days playing with Synplant 2. It's a worthy upgrade from v1. Genopatch is a lovely endless inspiration source, and using the new Bulb Modes is great fun. But I keep feeling like Synplant's strictly seed-based mutation scheme is not sufficient for creative expression. I would love to be able to tweak the genes for individual branches as I see fit, which doesn't seem to be possible. (Perhaps I missed a passage about this exact topic in the manual, though I have read it through twice now.)

Discrete branch editing would be ideal in scenarios using range Bulb Mode, allowing for (for example) pitched drum / percussion kits of bass drums, timpani, toms, congas, bongos, celesta, and glockenspiel. It's hard to get all those sonic distinctions right just by mutating a single gene set.

Discrete branches would also be ideal in velocity Bulb Mode. One might imitate a string section, where low velocities could be pizzicato and spiccato, middle velocities could be various subtle iterations of arco, and high velocities could be marcato / martelé sounds with varying amounts of inharmonicity. Again, difficult to get such a specific result without fully autonomous branch genes.

All that said, I understand if this isn't in line with Magnus and Fredrik's vision for Synplant. Feature creep can ruin a good product, and Synplant 2 is already good! — But I'd like to submit my vote for implementing per-branch editing, if you have been considering it.

• Andy Music

I think that somebody could create scripts for solving such challenges

• Michael // MSLD

If the branch seed values in the preset file referenced an entire set of genes, then yes, that would be a fine solution. Glancing at the preset format, I'm not sure the branch seed values contain enough data to directly correspond to a set of genes. In an unmodified patch, branch seed values seem to occur in order (for example, 0x20a1a20c, 0x20a1a20d … to 0x20a1a217) and yet each branch produces wildly different results when mutated.

Perhaps seed values point to "macro" tables in which each value corresponds to pseudo-randomized offsets for specific combinations of genes, so that all sounds mutate in "useful" ways. (Probably not. I know nothing. lol) At any rate, I'd be very interested to know how it works.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.