Synplant crashes Ableton

Jamie Morris993 views10 posts
  • Jamie Morris

Hello, I'm having a problem with one particular song not opening in Ableton. The crash report lists synplant.vst as the cause.

The song was originally created on a 2011 MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.4 (where the track still works fine, aside from it not always remembering the mod wheel position for whatever reason). It always opens reliably.
    I tried to open the song on my hackintosh (Lion 10.7.3), and it crashes every time. If I drag Synplant out of the vst folder, however, the song opens up. I've tried reinstalling Synplant several times, and even copying the VST over from my MBP. I should also mention that every other song with Synplant opens up fine. Obviously, that would point to it being an Ableton issue, so I will be contacting them as well, but regardless because of the crash report I'm pretty sure Synplant is what is causing the issue.

Any ideas on how to fix this? A recommendation for the best workaround to get the project back to how it was would also suffice.

I apologize because I know I'm running on non-standard hardware, but I think that regardless the issue is still fixable, because as I said everything else works fine besides this one song.

Lion 10.7.3, Ableton and Synplant are both the latest version.

Thanks in advance.

-Jamie Morris

• Magnus Lidström

If this only happens with one song I would suspect that the Live document data is corrupt. I have noticed that Live seems to lack sanity checks on document data. For instance, when I have had versions of my plug-in with extra test parameters that I later remove, Live will crash if I try to load the songs saved with the extra parameters.

I'd be happy to have a closer look at it if you are willing to send me the song file?

• Jamie Morris

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    If this only happens with one song I would suspect that the Live document data is corrupt. I have noticed that Live seems to lack sanity checks on document data. For instance, when I have had versions of my plug-in with extra test parameters that I later remove, Live will crash if I try to load the songs saved with the extra parameters.
    I'd be happy to have a closer look at it if you are willing to send me the song file?

Yes, I will do that. How would you like me to send it to you? the folder is about 449 mb.

• Magnus Lidström

- Jamie Morris wrote:
    Yes, I will do that. How would you like me to send it to you? the folder is about 449 mb.

Oh, that is a lot! Please, contact us via http://soniccharge.com/email and we will take it from there.

• Ronan Scullion

I'm having the same problem with a number of sets guys - was there any solution?

• Magnus Lidström

Sorry, this thread is very old and I cannot find any further email correspondence between us and Jamie. Is it possible to strip down one of your problematic sets so that it only contains the Sonic Charge product that seems to crash (Synplant?) and then send it to support@soniccharge.com?

• Ronan Scullion

I can't open the sets at all due the crashing Magnus. Have installed latest OS, latest Ableton Live 9.1.8 and latest Synplant to no avail

• Magnus Lidström

Did you try removing Synplant from the VST folder like Morris did?

• Ronan Scullion

Did and the set opens but all my Synplant patch work is then lost

• Magnus Lidström

No no, Synplant will just be deactivated. You can now remove everything but Synplant, save as a new project, bring Synplant back into your VST folder and open. Does it still crash? If so, upload the project here or send to support@soniccharge.com please.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.