Script for importing MIDI files as Microtonic patterns

Magnus Lidström5 753 views13 posts
  • Magnus Lidström

Hey fellas!

I have just written my most advanced script for MicroTonic yet. It's a MIDI file importer that converts Standard MIDI Files to MicroTonic pattern data, complete with accents and fills and estimated swing amount and fill rates. I am planning for this script to be part of a bigger script package but I wanted to share it with you straight away and maybe you can give me some feedback.

I've had good fun with it myself, importing MIDI-files from Addictive Drums into MicroTonic. One just have to fiddle a bit with MIDI key assignments to make it perform nicely.

Here is the description from the source code:

// TITLE//// Import MIDI File (script for MicroTonic 3.0)//// DESCRIPTION//// Lets the user choose a Standard MIDI File and tries to convert it into a MicroTonic pattern group. Current MIDI key// assignments are used to map note numbers to channels in MicroTonic. The algorithm attempts to identify accents, fills// and even swing amount and fill rate, but for obvious reasons this will not work in 100% of the cases. Standard MIDI// Files exported from MicroTonic usually imports without flaws, but it cannot be guaranteed that re-imported patterns// will turn out 100% identical to their originals. Step rates other than 1/16 are not supported.

Install as usual by unzipping and putting the single .pika source into your /Library/Application Support/Sonic Charge/MicroTonic Scripts on Mac or wherever you have placed your MicroTonic plug-in on Windows.

Import MIDI File.pika.zip(5.43kB, 1247 downloads)

• Magnus Lidström

YouTube Video
  • Lea Rogers

V cool!
    Be nice to have scripts or a config button to either remap drum pads to Standard Midi notes/other drum vst configs - Addictive/Ezdrummer/ I would use it a lot more with my midi drum pattern libraries.
    Thanks again for cool script
    Best
    Lea

• Magnus Lidström

- learog wrote:
    V cool!
    Be nice to have scripts or a config button to either remap drum pads to Standard Midi notes/other drum vst configs - Addictive/Ezdrummer/ I would use it a lot more with my midi drum pattern libraries.
    Thanks again for cool script
    Best
    Lea

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. There is already the possibility of creating and loading .scmc files from the MIDI Configuration window, but sometimes you also need "many to one" key mapping, which isn't supported at all by the script right now. Advanced drum romplers like AD have different keys for different stroke types and often you want to map many of these to the same channel in MicroTonic.

Perhaps I should implement some simple text file format for these mappings and we could join forces in creating mappings for popular products. I donnu. Depending on how large the interest is of course.

Another interesting idea for the future might be a batch converter that converts an entire folder of .mid-files into .mtpreset files.

• Peter Pereira

Really useful script! :) Especially to accentuate drums.

• Dennis Harms

This will be really useful! Thanks! :)

Cheers
    Dennis

• Sebastian Rückwardt

Hi, I thought last week how cool was it when Micro Tonic can receive midi clips and the cantained notes inside ..
    And zzzzck. ......here it is....

Amazing.....

• robsong96

I can't seem to get this to work. I keep getting this error:

"The operation could not be performed due to the error:

Script Error: Undefined: 'p'.

Not sure what that means. I exported a midi file from Kontakt's Studio Drummer as a .mid file. Should work, shouldn't it?

• konfront tama

AWESOME! can't wait to try it. i don't have the sonic charge folder in my application support library directory though on my macbook pro.

• Magnus Lidström

@Glenn Robson: sorry, I have missed your post. If you are still around, did you got it to work ever or do you want me to have a look at what happens when it tries to import your .mid file?

@konfront tama: I believe your root /Library/Application Support ought to have a Sonic Charge dir if you have installed the latest version. But if I am wrong, simply create one. There is nothing magic with it. Follow the instructions from this post: http://soniccharge.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64-first-script-package-for-microtonic/

• konfront tama

thanks Magnus

• ITommy Zai

This is an exciting feature for me. I have thousands of 3rd party MIDI Drum Grooves. Oooo!

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.