Patternarium, Sonic Charge and tracks

Fallynn Knivez123 views2 posts
  • Fallynn Knivez

Hey,

So I'm pretty new to this, but I had a question before I purchase Microtonic that I can't find an answer too or figure out on my own.

When you download pattern presets from Patternarium, and load them into Microtonic, do the "tracks" stay the same as far as voices are concerned? To better clarify, i assume the presets midi is a basic drum machine MIDI, so is track 1 (C) always the kick, track 2 (C#) always the snare, and track 3 (D) always the hi-hat? Or does each track get randomly generated so that the "kick" may be on track 1 or on track 7, you never know? (I have listened to quite a few, and can pick out obvious kicks, snares and hats sounds, but of course I can't tell what track they are on through Patternarium).

If they DO stay consistent, what voices are typically on each track? (i.e. kick on 1, snare on 2, hat on 3, etc. Or is it a different arrangement for each pattern?)

Basically, I'm wanting to find neat Patternarium patterns, and offload them into a hardware drum synth, where i can create my own sounds for each track, but if say the kick jumps all around the 8 tracks, there will be no consistent way to do that without having to map out each pattern.

Thank you all in advance

• Fredrik Lidström

- Fallynn Knivez wrote:
    When you download pattern presets from Patternarium, and load them into Microtonic, do the "tracks" stay the same as far as voices are concerned?

Kind of. As you may already know, Microtonic has a single versatile synth engine for all sounds. There are no fixed positions or categories in the design. When combining that with the random patch and pattern generation, there's actually no telling how many kick or snare sounds there are in a pattern. Some patterns have 2-3 layered kicks, and some patterns don't even have one.

But Patternarium has a neural network that analyses the patches and categorizes them into 20 different percussion categories. It then tries to sort all the sounds to put them in consistent channel locations to its best ability.

(I have listened to quite a few, and can pick out obvious kicks, snares and hats sounds, but of course I can't tell what track they are on through Patternarium).

You can, kind of. The visualizer in Patternarium is divided into 8 circles. The outer circle is channel 1. If you check a couple of patterns, you will see that if there is a kick, it should end up in the outer ring.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.