Garbled rendered audio in FL Studio

Birdfingers276 views12 posts
  • Birdfingers

Hello, as per the threads here: https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/1192-very-glitchy-utonic-in-fl-studio?~post9329 and here: https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/1090-issue-after-rendering-a-song-in-flstudio?search=fl%20studio&page=all&~post4818

I too have for some time been having trouble with rendering uTonic in FL Studio. The result is like a CD skipping (exactly as in the sample provided in the first linked thread) with a small section of the uTonic pattern at the end. The picture below illustrates the issue quite well.

The only way I can use uTonic in FL Studio is by recording it live, which works, but is tedious and ultimately less than ideal. Just wondering if you might have any insight into what is happening and if there are any settings that might help. Running Win10, latest FL Studio and uTonic.

I tried to attach an FL Studio project file but it didn't work. The problem is super easy to reproduce though; simply add a uTonic to a blank project and try and render a few bars of it.
    Many thanks, BF

uTonic-Problem.PNG
  • Birdfingers

I tried changing the seemingly applicable settings in the FL Wrapper. The only setting that changes anything appreciably is using the fixed-size buffers option which you can see as the last two renders in the image below. The result still stutters but it sounds like a whole drum hit repeating instead of noise.

uTonic-Problem2.PNG
  • Birdfingers

One thing to add; I tried it out in FL Studio 12 (the version before 20, I know don't ask me) and it works as expected.

• Manuel Senfft

What settings did you use exactly? Also which exact versions do you use (FL, Microtonic, the multi VST, OS, ...).

The fixed buffer-size setting is some kind of an alrounder as it seems in FL. It often times "fixes" problems with plugins. Devs say that it fixes buggy plugins, while I am not sure, if a plugin really is buggy, as long as it works correct in many other DAWs, hehe. But it's not me to judge and I do not want to judge anyway.

I tried Microtonic (normal and multi VST) in FL Studio 20.8.3. build 2304. I think it's not the latest version, but at the moment I do not want to update, since I only work in Reaper for about 1,5 years now. Still: never had a problem with Microtonic. So again: be as precise as possible when it comes to reproducing things. Often times it's a tiny detail which makes a difference, when searching for bugs, hehe. (-;

• Birdfingers

Beyond the default wrapper settings I tried changing the bridged option, rendering mode, process active inputs and outputs, ensure processor state in callbacks under the processing tab. I tried all the options under the troubleshooting tab.

I'm running Version 20.8.3. [build 2304] of FL Studio which is the latest version however this issue has been happening on my system for over a year so any version of FL Studio 20 from this time period might exhibit the issue. Win 10 is as up to date as is possible. I have no issues like this in FL Studio version 12.5 [build 59] on the same machine.

• Helmut

I don't own Microtonic, but it looks like an issue I have with other plugins when "Wrap remainder" is used in the render settings in FL Studio.

So, if you use "Wrap remainder", try "Leave remainder" instead, and see if that fixes the problem.

• Manuel Senfft

1. Does it happen with the multi version of Microtonic (or the other one, or both)?
    2. Did you try the Primary sound driver in FL?
  • Birdfingers

- Helmut wrote:
    So, if you use "Wrap remainder", try "Leave remainder" instead, and see if that fixes the problem.

Ah yay, that works! I guess I can manually cut and loop the rendered clips myself and hope for a more permanent fix down the line.

- Manuel Senfft wrote:
    1. Does it happen with the multi version of Microtonic (or the other one, or both)?
    2. Did you try the Primary sound driver in FL?

Yes, I tried both versions with the same result. When I tried using the primary sound driver I could hear the plugin as per normal but it didn't render anything?

• Birdfingers

So about the manually cutting and re-rendering the clips thing... it's super tedious. Can one of the devs please comment on this issue and let me know if there is ever going to be a fix for this?

• Fredrik Lidström

What did Image-Line support say about the issue? Since it worked in FL Studio 12 but broken when upgrading to 20?

• Birdfingers

I'll give you one guess Fredrik.....

...they said it wasn't their issue.

But it's OK, I'm tired of the lack of advanced tools in FL Studio and have been transitioning to another DAW, one in which Microtonic works flawlessly. Thank you for responding all the same!

• Manuel Senfft

- Birdfingers wrote:
    I'll give you one guess Fredrik.....
    ...they said it wasn't their issue.
    But it's OK, I'm tired of the lack of advanced tools in FL Studio and have been transitioning to another DAW, one in which Microtonic works flawlessly. Thank you for responding all the same!

I've got a mate who works in Imageline support. Feel free to contact him at Tech@image-line.com ... maybe he can help you. (=

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.