Microtonic feature requests / ideas

Manuel Senfft808 views22 posts
  • Manuel Senfft

Hey there,

here I wanted to start a thread in which I want to present some of my ideas I would have or even like to see for Microtonic:

• some more sound noise types
    • filter envelopes
    • linking velocity to more parameters than just the three existing ones
    • polyphonic mode in the "Pitched MIDI mode"
    • adjusting the decaying curve types / tension (especially for the pitch mod)
    • maybe some FM stuff for the OSC (while I saw something in the scripting video ... will check it out, if I might have missed something!)

If any idea might be not clear enough, please tell me and I'll try to elaborate it. Thanks for reading!

• Sergey Kharuta

Hello
    I totaly agree with Manuel's ideas and have some more to add.

1. Sample section for at least one audio sample that can be loaded.
    2. Mixer section for all instruments for mixing in real time.
    3. Would be great to have 12 or 16 multitimbral.
    4. May be flexible section configuration where you could have only what you use and not see what you don't use.
  • andre cubilo

some more sound noise types : number 1!!
    polyphonic mode in the "Pitched MIDI mode" : would be great !!
    maybe some FM stuff for the OSC : there is some actually, but a deeper FM approach would be cool indeed ( look at the picture ).
    a reworked GUI ... the actual one is too small & not friendly.

microtonic.jpg
  • Manuel Senfft

Thanks for the new feedbacks here! Regarding the GUI: tbh this doesn't bother me, hehe. And too small? You know that you can scale it up to 200%?

• Sergey Kharuta

As to the GUI... in my opinion, this GUI is really perfect for drum machine. I really adore this it's GUI though I changed the color of mine ))). I've been using mTonic longer than 10 years and I've seen almost all the drum plugins on the market by now, mTonic is definitely the Best one. And it'll get even better when it's provided with all needed features )))))))
    I really wanna thank SonicCharge for this amazing instrument!!!

mTonic.png
  • Magnus Lidström

- Sergey Kharuta wrote:
    As to the GUI... in my opinion, this GUI is really perfect for drum machine. I really adore this it's GUI though I changed the color of mine ))). I've been using mTonic longer than 10 years and I've seen almost all the drum plugins on the market by now, mTonic is definitely the Best one. And it'll get even better when it's provided with all needed features )))))))

Nice! I want a gold one too now. 🤩

• Sergey Kharuta

You can have it )))) Use this

background_x2.png
  • Manuel Senfft

Eh ... what!? :D ... how can you change the theme of Microtonic? And is it allowed? I remember some companies would not allow a theme-hack, due to copyright reasons.

• Sergey Kharuta

NO NO NO!!!! I wouldn't allow myself to hack anything!!! I'm not that kind of person. It's totally alowed by SonicCharge. Once I asked about possibility of Skin option in mTonic and Magnus Lidström answered me it's not needed because anyone can change the skin the way he wants )))
    And he explained how to do that. This is wery easy. I guess you can find it here in forum in some other topic.

• Sergey Kharuta

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - Sergey Kharuta wrote:

What is really nice is the instrument you made! Thank you again! As I understand you are the one who did it? Correct me if i'm wrong ) And by the way, I painted it using the pair of faders in common Preview app on my MacBook just usin the Adjust Color tool ))))))
    BUT!!! I have a question. This way to change the skin color used to work perfect and I changed it then in AU and VST plugins. But afer the last update, after changing the Skin color VST started to say that the file was broken so I had to return the original file back. and unfortunately now I can use only AU with this skin color (((((( Why does it work differently now?

• Manuel Senfft

Thanks for the answer. I will search the forum. Everything else should be a new topic, I guess, so that here could stay the FR thread maybe, hm? (-;

• Karim El Morr

+1 for the Noise types and filter envelopes.
    But my number one feature to add would be the possibility to Tune all channels to a certain scale.
    That would accelerate my workflow immensely.

• Magnus Lidström

- Sergey Kharuta wrote:
    Why does it work differently now?

Because under certain circumstances, MacOS is verifying the integrity of bundles and will not allow any changes inside them. Apple is tightening its security measures with every MacOS update.

We have implemented another way to change resources (for skinning etc), but maybe we never explained it. Just put your modified resources in a folder next to Microtonic.vst (or .component) with the name Microtonic V3.3 Resources. Like this:

• Sergey Kharuta

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - Sergey Kharuta wrote:
    Why does it work differently now?
    Because under certain circumstances, MacOS is verifying the integrity of bundles and will not allow any changes inside them. Apple is tightening its security measures with every MacOS update.
    We have implemented another way to change resources (for skinning etc), but maybe we never explained it. Just put your modified resources in a folder next to Microtonic.vst (or .component) with the name Microtonic V3.3 Resources. Like this:

I fulfil it the way you recommended, eveything works fine! Thank you!!! VERY MUCH!!!

• B L

- Magnus Lidström wrote:

Typical, you do one collaboration with those Teenage Engineering guys and next thing we know you're cavorting around with solid-gold GUIs 🙄

- Sergey Kharuta wrote:
    You can have it )))) Use this

And you, sir, are an enabler 😠

(Jokes aside, both Magnus and Fredrik both deserve all the solid-gold GUIs and then some! Thanks again for all the incredible tools you've made, and all the incredible ones you might make in the future as well!)

• Beatprisoner

What I would like to see is a "export single sample set" option. So not exporting the pattern as a WAV-file but a set of single samples. Let's say eight per drum voice, everyone played with a different velocity).

So a set would contain 64 single samples which then could be used in Hardware samplers as a multisample set.

• Frank Heller

I'd like to see the A/B buttons replaced with 4 stereo output selections: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8. Two stereo output assignments just isn't enough for me with the Stereo version.

• johnjohnson

• More Noise type
    • Square wave
    • More EQ/Filter type (Low cut, High cut, Peak, Notch)
    • More distortion algorithm
    • More type enveloppe on oscillator
    • Single channel plugin version
  • C.A.P.

⭍ This is the Thread❔ ⭍
    May some are doubled...but then its a vote ;)

• Pattern/ Sequence length per Voice
    • per Step Volume (click and hold a Step to draw and move up/down for volume - like in XLN XO ;) yeah i know you know this guys)
    • per Step Split (rolls) similar to XLN´s XO (its half solved with the global fill rate)
    • fill rate should be whole number -> 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (or not? not sure where need 3,43x)
    • vote for ⬜-Wave (not sure about that, but more options is nice)
    • vote for Noise types or additional another tweakable Soundsource
    • FM stuff for OSC or some more possibillities to tweak
    • vote for More EQ/Filter type (need for better LP, BP or HP sounds)
    • vote for changing the rhythm or/and the sample-kit while playing - okay that seems a bit tricky because there are only "Single Sounds" not Sound-Kit´s and Patches with "Sequence and Sounds" together and no Sequence-Kit´s. So we dont have a Kit separatly from the other ones. Dont know how to extract/ split them, because it destroys the whole system. We can Drop MIDI and change then the Preset, that works.
    • random button - yeah ok, we have the patternarium, but this thing inside the µTonic..hm, would be nice

okay...for now

• Shannon Reddy

I'm seconding the noise and wave type requests for sure — the internal drum synth in Maschine is a great example of how grind and rumble can be helpful for versatile kick drums and snares.

I'd also love a envelope sweep on the pitch of the noise filter — again see the Maschine internal snare module "POW" for an example of what I mean.

Finally, I'll re-mention it because I'd love it so much: just a micro-micro, a nanotonic version if you will with only the single pad and no sequencer, and full keyboard tonal mapping on by default, so it can be added easily multiple times to Drum Machine Designer in Logic or Drum Racks in Ableton without many features going to waste.

Thanks!

• Gasper Divjak

I really really like microtonic, I made I lot of tracks with it over the years. Some of my suggestions!
    -Different envelopes for noise and oscillator modules pls
    -Stereo button that engages oscillators in stereo - maybe a fader that could control the position of noise sound with oscillator sound in stereo field
    -Something with feedback that would be incorporated into both noise and oscillator modules

Good luck, I looooove microtonic.

• Peter Tinsley

I would like to see "Next Pattern", "Previous Pattern" and "Randomize Pattern" all assignable to MIDI CC please.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.