Chained Patterns go backwards?

Neil Alderson779 views10 posts
  • Neil Alderson

Hi Support,

Firstly, congratulations on an amazing product, best VST I've ever bought!

I seem to have a bit of an issue with chained patterns. Say I have chained B->C->D, if I trigger pattern B in the piano roll, pattern D starts to play before it will loop around to pattern B and follow the chain as expected. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong since I've triple checked the piano roll key a thousand times (C#3 in this case)!

I hope you can help!

Neil

• Fredrik Lidström

Hey there,

I can not think of anything that would make MicroTonic behave in such a way by it self. Did you manage to figure it out? If not, what host / os are you using and would it be possible for you to send us the project?

• Neil Alderson

- Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    Hey there,
    I can not think of anything that would make MicroTonic behave in such a way by it self. Did you manage to figure it out? If not, what host / os are you using and would it be possible for you to send us the project?

Hi Fredrik,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have posted these details in the OP, sorry!

Product Name and Version - MicroTonic 3.0
    Operating System and Version - Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Host Name and Version - FL Studio 9

I tried adding the Preset into a blank project and it still behaves the same. I will try and attach a copy of the blank project repro for you when I get home.

Cheers,
    Neil

• Neil Alderson

Hi Frederik,

I've attached a zip containing an FL Studio project and the UTonic preset used. The project simply triggers pattern A and then triggers pattern B which is in the chain B->C->D. For some reason this example is triggering C->D->B for me. I hope you can reproduce it!

Cheers,
    Neil

• Neil Alderson

Sorry the file upload didn't work, trying again...

utonic_issue.zip(44.1kB, 686 downloads)

• Neil Alderson

Was there any news on this? It's kinda getting irritating!

• Fredrik Lidström

I have installed FL Studio and taken a look at your project and understood what your problem is. It has a really easy explanation and I'm sorry I didn't figure it out faster and given you a reply. :huh:

When you have the default MIDI settings in MicroTonic, it is setup to respond to pattern MIDI notes by switching on the next beat. What maybe is not totally clear about this is that when it does switch, it also does it sequence sync. So if you for example have a setup of two chains (A-D and E-H), and 2 bars into your first chain you send a pattern MIDI note to play the E-H sequence, it will always start on G, no matter which note in the chain you sent.

You might ask "why?" as this feels really odd in your project and clearly not what you are after. But this behavior allows you to easily use fills or switch between two sequences as explained above without getting out of sync with your main beat.

Now there is a really easy "fix" for you regarding how you want to use MicroTonic in your project. What you want to do is tell it to just follow your MIDI instructions blindly and switch to the pattern you send, when you send it. You do this by going into the MIDI settings and changing the "Pattern MIDI Notes" option to "Retrigger".

• Neil Alderson

- Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    I have installed FL Studio and taken a look at your project and understood what your problem is. It has a really easy explanation and I'm sorry I didn't figure it out faster and given you a reply. :huh:
    When you have the default MIDI settings in MicroTonic, it is setup to respond to pattern MIDI notes by switching on the next beat. What maybe is not totally clear about this is that when it does switch, it also does it sequence sync. So if you for example have a setup of two chains (A-D and E-H), and 2 bars into your first chain you send a pattern MIDI note to play the E-H sequence, it will always start on G, no matter which note in the chain you sent.
    You might ask "why?" as this feels really odd in your project and clearly not what you are after. But this behavior allows you to easily use fills or switch between two sequences as explained above without getting out of sync with your main beat.
    Now there is a really easy "fix" for you regarding how you want to use MicroTonic in your project. What you want to do is tell it to just follow your MIDI instructions blindly and switch to the pattern you send, when you send it. You do this by going into the MIDI settings and changing the "Pattern MIDI Notes" option to "Retrigger".

Ah I see, yes that makes sense. But is it synced to the host's song playlist, e.g. given a chain of A-D pattern B will always start when triggered on bar 6 of the song. I ask because in the example project if the drum machine is initially turned off so it isn't currently playing a chained sequence when the command is sent, it seems to start on the pattern that would match with the bar of the MIDI trigger.

• Magnus Lidström

- Kyma Music wrote:
    Ah I see, yes that makes sense. But is it synced to the host's song playlist, e.g. given a chain of A-D pattern B will always start when triggered on bar 6 of the song. I ask because in the example project if the drum machine is initially turned off so it isn't currently playing a chained sequence when the command is sent, it seems to start on the pattern that would match with the bar of the MIDI trigger.

In standard mode, MicroTonic is always synchronized to host song position. So regardless where you start the playback in your host, MicroTonic will be consistent with which patterns it plays where in your song. E.g. A, in a chain of A to D, will always play on bar number 1, number 5, number 9 etc.

• Neil Alderson

Yep that's what I am finding too, thanks for clarifying the behaviour. Now I completely understand how it is working.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.