Single drum version?

captainbleep588 views8 posts
  • captainbleep

I've recently switched from all hardware to all software, and I've really enjoyed using MT as my drum synth.

I've got it racked in an Ableton drum rack, and that works nicely except when it comes to editing sounds with Push or another controller. Because the number of sound parameters for all 8 synths exceeds 128, I have to choose between not having access to all parameters for all synths or having access to all parameters for 7 of the 8 synths and none for one.

What I'd love to be able to do is to have 16 instances of a single-drum version of MT attached to each individual pad in a drum rack. That way, I can select the pad with Push and then tweak the sound as much as I want. I've used some of the Max for Live drum synths this way, and it's quite fun.

Is this a possibility?

• larserik

My two cents: MT is so light on the CPU that you don't have to bother about the 7 voices you're not using in each instance.

• Magnus Lidström

I've been asked about this a few times already and while I do agree it would feel cleaner with a single channel version, LarsErik is absolutely right about the CPU concerns. Microtonic voices that are not playing do not even take a single % of CPU. Any increase in CPU going from a single VST instance to eight or sixteen instances is more likely to come from Live itself rather than Microtonic, so that wouldn't change much with a single-drum version I am afraid.

Despite this I agree that a single-channel version with a slimmed down GUI without sequencer etc is a quite attractive idea.

• Olli Kietäväinen

This would be a dream come true! Having a cleaner UI when I don't need the sequencer would be reason enough for me to get it by itself. Also, I don't really enjoy the hassle of multi-out VSTs and this would remedy that as well.

Anyway, I'm glad that others have been vocal about this before me.

µTonic Lite — I'm waiting for you! :)

• Tom Mosler

+1 for single channel version without sequencer but with Morph slider obviously :)

• Udbhav Gupta

I use a single instance of Microtonic inside an Ableton Drum Rack by using 7 of Ableton's "External Instrument" to send midi to a diff channel of an instance of Microtonic on the first chain and get back audio from Microtonic's multiple outputs. Add morph and other parameters to your macro knobs, save it as a live device, and you can drag it in to any of your sessions.

• Tom Mosler

- Udbhav Gupta wrote:
    I use a single instance of Microtonic inside an Ableton Drum Rack by using 7 of Ableton's "External Instrument" to send midi to a diff channel of an instance of Microtonic on the first chain and get back audio from Microtonic's multiple outputs. Add morph and other parameters to your macro knobs, save it as a live device, and you can drag it in to any of your sessions.

Well, I use that to ;) Since 2011: https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/71-microtonic-drum-rack-for-ableton-live

That is good if you want to process all voices with separate effects and trigger them from one MIDI clip/drum rack.
    But when you would like to control each voice using Push or inside Maschine, you need to load instance per pad. Like LarsErik and Magnus Lidström said, CPU is not an issue here.
    Still this would be nice option to have single drum version :)

For Push users, if you have Max for Live, there is this device: http://maxforlive.com/library/device/2263/sonic-charge-microtonic-drum-rack-for-push

• Udbhav Gupta

Ahhh, haha you're about 6 years ahead of me.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.