Basic sine is not "click-free"?

Nowhk286 views7 posts
  • Nowhk

Hi all.

Not sure why, but if I play a plain sine within Microtonic (Osc 100%, gain 0, distort 0, some osc-sine freq, sine pitch mod, attack -inf, pitch amout 0), I can "see" on a spectrum the sine wave playing (with the phase starting correctly at 0°, or at least it seems), because at the beginning there's also lots of higher harmonics/partial, which add a sort of "click" at the beginning (it seems sine phase is not 0, but in fact it is, played with other content).

It's a bug or desidered? Are there some "noise" that start at phase different than 0° played together the sine wave at the very beginning of the sound?

Thanks

• Magnus Lidström

The sine starts at 45 degrees to give it some more punch. Just raise the attack slightly to get rid of the click if it is not desired.

• Nowhk

I see. Not sure why, but I was trying a configuration that was outputting a sine wave with strange attack shape (a sort of click + sine phase 0). I'm not able to reproduce it again now. Who know :)

Thanks for the info.

• Magnus Lidström

Could be an ultra fast pitch decay maybe? That would look like a click.

• Nowhk

No no, I was trying with a steady sine wave. No decay/modulation. It started with a strange "phase", such as 90° with a smooth fade towards the real shape.

• Magnus Lidström

Smooth fade could be because of voice-stealing maybe? Microtonic does that if you have a non-zero attack and a sound is already playing on the channel, even if it is very very low.

• Nowhk

No no, I was sampling a single tone/trigger. Dunno, I really can't remember how I've achieved that sound. If I reckon I'll let you know. Thanks

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.