Middle "C" mismatch?

DruMunkey169 views3 posts
  • DruMunkey

I'm curious why middle C in the OSC per docs is FREQ_VALUE_C4 = 0.4725600599127338
    The frequency value for middle C (523.25 Hz) on "OscFreq", "NFilFrq" and "EQFreq".

Which is Midi 72 523.2511306012, yet when you actually play uT, MIDI note 60 version of "C" is the note that actually "plays" the note.

Is this a bug? I don't see a way to set middle "C" value in MIDI settings.

• Magnus Lidström

Microtonic was not designed around MIDI note pitches from the beginning. "Pitched MIDI Mode" (and note read-outs on tooltips etc) was added first in version 2. "Pitched MIDI Mode" simply transposes drum patches by midiNoteNumber - 60, so if an oscillator is set to C4 (523.25) that is the pitch that will be played by C3.

If I happened to call 523.25Hz the "middle C", that is a bit of a misnomer I guess. It is the C that is in the middle of the frequency slider on Microtonic. However, it is not the middle C that is in the middle of a standard piano. Sorry for that confusion.

Not sure if this answers your question though? :)

• DruMunkey

Good enough! :)

The pitched MIDI thing (though it may have been an afterthought) is <Guinness>BRILLIANT!</Guinness>.

It's amazing how much more interesting a groove is if you just do something as simple as automate a transpose plugin +/- 2-3 semitones while a beat is running.

Shhhh... It will be our little secret! :)

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.