Retina support

Mads Martinsen178 views8 posts
  • Mads Martinsen

Will there be support for my iMac retina display in the future?

• Magnus Lidström

Hopefully. We have looked into the technology but haven't started researching how well it is supported by the major DAWs. Apart from compatibility another concern is actually download size. We don't want to go the "all vector" route with our plug-ins as seem to be the trend right now, but rather continue to combine vectors with Fredrik's exquisite 3D renders. Today we use only non-lossy compression for graphics, but with Retina this means 4 times as much data.

All taken into consideration I'd say Retina will probably cost us a few months of development time in total so it is not something that we can just toss in there.

Fredrik's GUIs in higher resolution do look mighty tasty though. Check it out:

VST Screenshot.png
  • Mads Martinsen

That looks amazing here. I'd gladly give an arm and a leg (and the added filesizes) to be able to stare at that loveliness while working!

• Valery Kondakoff

Fredrik's GUIs in higher resolution do look mighty tasty though

Magnus, can you, please, explain: what are the benefits of this high resolution render if it looks rather blurry on Retina display?

Here is an example. The small fonts are almost unreadable on my new Retina iMac:

Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 17.45.37.png
  • Magnus Lidström

Magnus, can you, please, explain: what are the benefits of this high resolution render if it looks rather blurry on Retina display?

We do not support Retina yet as I explained in this thread. The larger image I posted was mainly to demonstrate that we have renders in higher resolution that we'll hopefully see in our plug-ins in the future. But quite a few technical hurdles to tackle before that.

• Valery Kondakoff

Thank you for explanation!

• colin

sorry to revive the old thread, but I just upgraded to a retina MBP and wanted to know it there is any ETA on the retina interfaces? :)

• Fredrik Lidström

Sorry, no ETA on it. What I can say is that I have put some work into it and that I would like all our products to have retina support. I will continue working on it and hopefully we can get it into an upcoming update.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.