Magnus Lidström75 053 views103 posts
Page 2 of 2
  • Guitaruby

- Borialis wrote:
    The FX workaround is a success!

1. Duplicated VST plugin.
    2. Renamed to VST plugin to "Cyclone FX"
    3. Renamed execute file inside plugin from Cyclone to "Cyclone FX"
    4. Created a "Cyclone FX Config.txt" with the script info and placed "inside" of the Sonic Charge (vst) "folder" where the Cyclone and now Cyclone FX VST's reside.

Opened Cubase 7 and BAM! "Cyclone FX" is there!

Used two test signals.
    A Test Generator and Mic, and it receives audio input from the sends just fine!
    The unit's gain is like the old piece of gear as well. LOL I digress.
    I created a MIDI track and connect the MIDI out to the "Cyclone FX MIDI in.
    MIDI triggered test samples no problem.

The only drawbacks, is there is no access to the multi outs as an FX VST Plugin.
    So, you'll need to sample, save to an .img, and open on an "Instrument or Rack" instance for multi out needs.
    That's the gist.

Thanks a ton Magnus and if you're looking for good Betas holla!

Hi, firstly I would like to say a big thank you to

- Borialis wrote:
    The FX workaround is a success!

4. Created a "Cyclone FX Config.txt" with the script info and placed "inside" of the Sonic Charge (vst) "folder" where the Cyclone and now Cyclone FX VST's reside.

Opened Cubase 7 and BAM! "Cyclone FX" is there!

Used two test signals.
    A Test Generator and Mic, and it receives audio input from the sends just fine!
    The unit's gain is like the old piece of gear as well. LOL I digress.
    I created a MIDI track and connect the MIDI out to the "Cyclone FX MIDI in.
    MIDI triggered test samples no problem.

The only drawbacks, is there is no access to the multi outs as an FX VST Plugin.
    So, you'll need to sample, save to an .img, and open on an "Instrument or Rack" instance for multi out needs.
    That's the gist.

Thanks a ton Magnus and if you're looking for good Betas holla!

Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to Magnus for this, it really is just brilliant !!

I tried to get the Cyclone FX to work but I don't understand the part about:-

' 3. Renamed execute file inside plugin from Cyclone to "Cyclone FX" - what is the procedure for renaming the execute file inside the plugin ?

Would you be able to upload your Cyclone FX .DLL ? Hope would be able to help me, all the best, Mike.

• Borialis

Hi Guitaruby,

You're welcome! ;)

1. On a Mac you right or control+click the DUPLICATE Cyclone plugin you've created,

choose "Show Package Contents" from the drop menu and open the MacOs folder located inside.

1. In the MacOs folder, rename the executable file inside named "Cyclone" to "Cyclone FX".
    1. If not already done, rename the DUPLICATE "Cyclone" plug itself to "Cyclone FX".

That's how you rename the executable and plugin on The Mac.

Now, you'll have to find the equivalent files and structure for PC.

I lack the PC file structure knowledge. Maybe Magnus could help you fill in the PC blanks.

Good Luck!

• Guitaruby

- Guitaruby wrote:
    - Borialis wrote:
    Hi Guitaruby,
    You're welcome! ;)
    1. On a Mac you right or control+click the DUPLICATE Cyclone plugin you've created,
    choose "Show Package Contents" from the drop menu and open the MacOs folder located inside.
    2. In the MacOs folder, rename the executable file inside named "Cyclone" to "Cyclone FX".
    3. If not already done, rename the DUPLICATE "Cyclone" plug itself to "Cyclone FX".
    That's how you rename the executable and plugin on The Mac.
    Now, you'll have to find the equivalent files and structure for PC.
    I lack the PC file structure knowledge. Maybe Magnus could help you fill in the PC blanks.
    Good Luck!

Hi Borialis thank you for replying ! I am using a PC. I will see if there is a similar method using a PC.
    I am new to this so if anyone out there can help I would be very grateful !

• Niklas Ramsberg

- Guitaruby wrote:
    Hi Borialis thank you for replying ! I am using a PC. I will see if there is a similar method using a PC.
    I am new to this so if anyone out there can help I would be very grateful !

See Magnus' original post about this:

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    I forgot to write about this in the FAQ. You can put a config file next to the .dll / .vst / .component. You call it "Cyclone Config.txt" and it should look something like this:
    ```
    enableInputs: true
    registerAsEffect: true
    // bootImage: MyTyphoon.img
    ```
    If you duplicate and / or rename the plug-in you should change the name of the config file too. E.g. create a "Cyclone FX.dll" and a "Cyclone FX Config.txt".

I haven't tried this yet but it seems less complicated than what Borealis had to do on his Mac. As a step-by-step instruction:

• Go to the folder where Cyclone.vst is stored (most likely C:\Program Files\Steinberg\vst\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\vst\.
    • Copy Cyclone.vst and give the copy a different name, for example Cyclone FX.vst.
    • In the same folder, create a text file called Cyclone FX Config.txt.
    • Open the text file and paste this text in the file:

• Save the text file. Done!/Niklas
  • Guitaruby

Hi Niklas,

Thank you for replying. I tried this but Cyclone FX doesn't show up as an effect in Cubase?

Cyclone shows up as a VSTi in the vst instruments list but cyclone FX doesn't show up in the effects list?

Am I doing something wrong here? Have you tried to create Cyclone FX?

Cyclone is an excellent vsti plugin though !!

Thanks,

Mike.

• Johan Brodd

no-respect by johanbrodd

Another beat produced with piano and breakbeats from Cyclone, Microtonic backing up the drums, Korg M1 on organ and acoustic bass, ManyGuitar for the muted guitar, Guitar Rig 4 for the effects on it. I hope you like it. Check it out!

• teacue

Amazing work!

A lot of thanks for taking time to create Cyclone.

I wrote a lot of music using two TX16W and I still use sounds from the TX16W library.

A question: I have problem loading multiple disks.

First everything goes well and when Cyclone ask for missing samples, clicking on the floppy and pointing to the next disk loads the missing samples from the next disk (exactly like old TX16W ;-) but at the end, Cyclone asks for missing samples though they should be already loaded!

I tried as well with own disks as with Yamaha Library disks.

Do you have any suggestions?

I would gladly attach some imgs as an example but it seems I am not permitted to upload this kind of file.

Edit: I could finally attach two files as an example.

• teacue

I finally could solve the problem.

1. the name of some waves was not right.

It seems as if during the process of copying the original TX16W disks to my PC (I did this many years ago) some waves names has been changed, mostly inserting a blank instead of an understrike.
    Correcting the names of the waves and baking the img again could solve the issue.

1. On multiple disks the data other than waves can be spreaded on several disks.

After the setup loads the waves it asks for filter data or other data that maybe are on the first disk, so you have to insert the first disk (or an other one) again.

Thanks again for this real gem.
    To me the TX16W sound library has a very nice and special vintage sound that differs from the high quality sample library of today.
    Cyclone will lead me to use this library again.

• Niklas Ramsberg

- Guitaruby wrote:
    Hi Niklas,
    Thank you for replying. I tried this but Cyclone FX doesn't show up as an effect in Cubase?
    Cyclone shows up as a VSTi in the vst instruments list but cyclone FX doesn't show up in the effects list?
    Am I doing something wrong here? Have you tried to create Cyclone FX?
    Cyclone is an excellent vsti plugin though !!
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Hi Mike,

I tried it and it works for me. The Cyclone shows up as a VST effect in Reaper, and if I set it to sampling mode I can route sound through it.

It seems a little pointless though, because I can't really hear that it affects the sound in any way, not even if I set the sampling frequency as low as possible. It sounds as if the sound you hear when sampling doesn't go through the emulated A/D converters on the Cyclone so it deosn't color the sound in any way.

• Guitaruby

Hi Niklas,

My friend has Reaper and the cyclone vst shows up as an effect/vst.

It's hard to say if the sound is altered when passing audio through Cyclone FX.

Sometimes I think it does and other times it doesn't. Seems to depend on the type of audio you pass through it,

or am I just fooling myself ??!!

Still Cyclone is just brilliant for those retro sounds !!

All the best,

Mike.

• Magnus Lidström

- Niklas Ramsberg wrote:
    It sounds as if the sound you hear when sampling doesn't go through the emulated A/D converters on the Cyclone so it deosn't color the sound in any way.

No, that is correct. The audio monitor on the original TX16W is a simple wire from the input jack to the output jack, so no coloration takes place there and that is the way I am emulating it too. The only purpose of making an fx version is to enable sampling in the hosts that do not support routing audio to virtual instruments.

• stools

Magnus,

my first sampler end of the 80s was the TX16W - I am very impressed of this emulation. Even if it does not make me crazy to navigate with Thypoon I would be glad to have direct single wav import with loop recognizion and simple one layer looped multisample SF2 or SFZ import per drag&drop. Of course this needs to be limited to 32 samples, 6 MB ect.

This whole img thing is kind of cool :D , but I would like to take advantage of A) the great sound emulation you provide and B) of modern sample data handling.

Do you think you will add some features like this?

Best Regards,

stools

• Jim Evans

Many thanks for this. I have been a typhoon user since the beginning. For the last 4 years I've been working the disk change sensor on my THIRD TX16W with a pocket knife each boot up. I retired it about a year ago as being too clumsy for live performance,(because of the disk drive) and tried out the TX16Wx vst. This <kinda> works, but I missed my original setup that I've been using for YEARS. I've been controling it with a midi guitar since the Korg z3 came out... The other day I bought a Fishman triple play and as of a few hours ago, I have my original Typhoon setup back again, just like it was in 2000, and NOW IT'S WIRELESS TOO.

I LOVE IT. Thanks again for all the work.

• MC Brane

hi everyone and many thank magnus for this emulation.

i was one of the few lucky/unlucky owners or tx16w, almost from a day one since its release as it was the most affordable sampler at that time and promissed a lot, but later dumped with yamaha..... i looked at typhoon at that time but could not afford it.

i created numerous tx16w samples, performances, voices i still have on disks. . thanks everyone for converting factory sounds!!!!!

my prob is how to read tx16w disks on my MBP - i have got external USB 3.5 floppy but it just spins and then stops.

any help, advice PLEASE!

also would like to read few order atari st disks which i have formated to 820 and maybe even 900 at that time and my external floppy can not read them as well.

all best and thanks in advance

brane

• Magnus Lidström

@MC Brane: reading Yamaha disks on a Mac presents a little problem but there is a solution for it, if you are willing to run some low level unix commands. The reason why you can't read them directly is because Yamaha sabotaged some sectors in their floppy format. (I believe this was some form of pointless copy protection.)

What you need to do is open your Terminal and run a command that will make a floppy image but skip over bad sectors. The command looks like this:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=~/YamahaDisk.img conv=noerror,sync

"disk1" assumes you have no mounted disks except your internal MacBook disk, so make sure you unmount any virtual floppy images before running. You can also try "disk2" etc if "disk1" doesn't seem to work.

"~/YamahDisk.img" is the name of the output floppy image file (~/ means it will be put into your home folder)

Let me know if it works for you!

• SashaK

Hi! Can not make Cyclone be registred as effect in GarageBand 2011 ( 6.0.5 ). I renamed, made text file, put it at the same folder. But GB doesn't see it. The same thing with MuLab and Cyclone as VST-effect. I've got Macbook of 2008 year and OS X 10.6.8

Also I want to ask more clearly about Cyclone as effect: will the sound be going through and obtaing timbre as it wound be sampled with Cyclone as through any other plugin? Such simple?

Sasha

• Michael Schirmer

THIS IS SO GREAT!

I just made my first own floppy! :D

I love it!

I work with this alot because I have fun doing music! :)

• jorg

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have no experience with this kind of hardware in real life.

When I play back my samples in Cyclone the volume is very low, even when the front panel display indicates I have a good signal going in. I realize that this is an emulation of old hardware, and I'm not trying to crank the thing all the way up or anything, but is there any way to get higher output levels without clipping, or is that a feature of the emulation? And if I save the samples to disk and load the .aiff files elsewhere, am I loosing any of the "color" that the emulation is supposed to provide by not using the outputs?

Thanks.

• dan

Magnus

I only this week came across Cyclone.

I was/am a great admirer of the elegance of Typhoon. Purchased original and also hacked the OS to make a disk emulator. (http://suddenproductions.com/TX16W_EM.html)

So a great, big thanks for Cyclone!

• Kiambu Powell

Hello how is it going? Thanks for a great VST Magnus! How do i convert my wav and mp3 files etc to make them work in this thing? I tried to bake them to img file but they won't load. Also how do i sample thru it? I know how to play and sample the files i downloaded on the blog,but that is about it. Could you please help me out? There is one video about this VST. I know several people who have it but don't know how to use it at all! Please make some videos. Your great VST is going to waste on a lot of computers because a lot of people just don't know how to work it! Thanks in advance Kiambu.....

• AegisLesha

Hey
    I'm getting a serious problem regarding Cyclone, and as far as my researches could get me, it appears nobody else actually got my issue, which is pretty straight forward to explain: each time I'm trying to mount a .img in Cyclone, it displays 'file typhoon.ini is missing'
    I'm sure this is fairly easy to solve but I'm not figuring out how...
    Thank you for the plugin though, and thanks in advance :)

• Audio Fan

Hello, Magnus!
    ...and sorry for my English)

First of all, biggest thanks for that increadible plugin that sounds like a real hardware . This 'grit', 'warmth' and overall character of Cyclone's sound is something that blow me away. This limitations and workflow from original unit are very inspirational. But I have several questions, and if I don't bother you and you have time - help me please:

1. Is thereany difference in character of sound between samples that I'm loading from floppy and samples that we can sampling directly to Cyclone? If yes, then:
    1. I have problem with "Sampling" function. I can't understand and have no idea how I can route audio signal to Cyclone. I tried some midi routings, but there's no result. Trick with renaming doesn't work too: Cyclone FX appears in the VST list, but like instrument.

And, If I understand correctly this trick with renaming .dll is just compromise for DAWs, which can't route audio signal to insrument and when we use it like FX, we passed some stages of original processing and as a result we lose character of original unit, right? If so, could you tell me how i can sampling with original, not-renaming dll? (I'm working with Ableton Live)

Thanks!

• Luca Di Dedda

HEllo GUYS!
    I think CYCLONE is incredible and your contribution is Awesome.
    Thank to Magnus and you all.
    I've a CUBASE 8.5 64bit with OSX El Capitan but I cannot sampling with Cyclone, i don't see it in my FX list.
    I followed the great BORIALIS suggestion:

But I don't see Cyclone in FX list in my cubase.
    Could you help me please? I love this sampler!!
    :)
    L.

• Luca Di Dedda

@AUDIO FAN
    with Ableton live is very easy, just routing output into the CYCLONE (not renamed) and click on "IN"
    That's it!

• Fredrik Lidström

I noticed that the formatting on Magnus original post got messed up (I have edited it). Each statements should be on it's own line. Like this:

Last line is optional as // means it is a commented out and not active.

I had a hard time getting Cubase 8.5 to rescan the plug-ins after changes. Even using the "Update Information" inside the Cubase Plug-in Manager did not really rescan. One sure way to force it, is to quit Cubase, remove the cache inside the Cubase preference folder and then launch Cubase again. File can be removed by doing

rm ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase\ 8.5/Vst2xPlugins*

• Luca Di Dedda

Hello Fredrik,
    thank you very much, everything went well.
    I can see it now!
    I rescanned my plugin after remove Cubase 8.5 cache.
    Thank you!!!
    Thank you!!!
    Thank you!!!

• John Y.

Thank you, Sonic Charge, for providing us this awesome plugin. :)

The PPC Audio Unit plugin, posted on 3 January 2014, is confirmed working on an 11-year-old PowerBook G4 that I've acquired and refurbished (17-inch, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8), and I've used Audio Hijack Pro 2.9.2, Logic 7, and GarageBand as hosts. Audio Hijack has given me the smoothest experience thus far on the G4, although if you're unfamiliar with Audio Hijack, you'll need to press the "Hijack" button in order to use Cyclone.

This was really nothing more than a proof of concept; the PowerBook may or may not find its way into my everyday sound design environment, but it helps to have a backup sampling machine if, God forbid, my primary machine needs maintenance.

• Ben Fuhrer

Can the Cyclone Vsti be used to actually control a hardware tx16w via midi/sysex, like an editor/librarian, etc. ?

• Magnus Lidström

Can the Cyclone Vsti be used to actually control a hardware tx16w via midi/sysex, like an editor/librarian, etc. ?

Not really. Typhoon has very little sysex support and Cyclone doesn't send midi output at all because it was too much of a headache to implement properly in the emulator. (VSTs transmit midi as a list of discrete events while the TX16W transmits a stream of arbitrary serial data. It's perfectly doable, but just not so interesting imho.).

What you can do of course, provided that you own a 3.5" floppy drive, is to move work between the hardware and software TX16W simply by copying the files to and from the virtual disk images.

• tonalaxis

Could you do an RE version now?? ;)

• Koshdukai

- tonalaxis wrote:

I'm a bit curious as to what a RE version would be, since Typhoon's strength is really the hardware emulation where Cyclone (untouched) runs... which allows importing actual TX/Cyclone files, none of which are possible to import into a RE.

Are you asking for a regular sampler RE just with the D/A+aliasing+filter TX quirkiness and a few of the more characteristic UX features of Cyclone but applied to regular audio samples?

Because that's almost like a rewriting of everything (Typhoon and Cyclone).

• tonalaxis

- Koshdukai wrote:
    - tonalaxis wrote:
    I'm a bit curious as to what a RE version would be, since Typhoon's strength is really the hardware emulation where Cyclone (untouched) runs... which allows importing actual TX/Cyclone files, none of which are possible to import into a RE.
    Are you asking for a regular sampler RE just with the D/A+aliasing+filter TX quirkiness and a few of the more characteristic UX features of Cyclone but applied to regular audio samples?

It was only meant to be a joke. Although having the sampling and algorithms etc that the original hardware had in a dedicated RE synth/sampler would be nice. I'd love to see a Sonic charge synth/sampler in Reason/VST.

• Koshdukai

- tonalaxis wrote:
    - Koshdukai wrote:
    - tonalaxis wrote:
    It was only meant to be a joke. Although having the sampling and algorithms etc that the original hardware had in a dedicated RE synth/sampler would be nice. I'd love to see a Sonic charge synth/sampler in Reason/VST.

Ah dang it, didn't catch the ending smiley ;P ...aaanyways, yup, a Sonic Charged Sampler (RE+VST) would be something interesting to see.

...erm, a Samplantternarium ;D

• Billy Kurniadi

Is there anyway to assign CC to the Cylone? Can't find the information anywhere. Thanks.

Edit: Answered by Melkor, thanks!

Most patches have modwheel and pitch already assigned.

You can assign CCs via the "System Setup - 2. X-cntrls"

And

"System Setup - 3. Slider"

• don solaris

...obsolete...

• Earth Stink

hello

been playing around with cyclone the whole day sampling and learning my way around, haven't looked at the manual yet but, can I use the audio input as a mod source? doesn't work for me (using "extern" as a mod source, right?)
    P.S I'd really like to read the typhoon review on sos magazine, pls if anyone has it handy hook a brotha up

Thanks

• Andrzej Katkov

Hello, ladies and gentlemen! Anyone still using the awesome Cyclone in 2019? I have a MacBookPro running macOS 10.14.15. And Cyclone fails to boot, plugin loads normally, I can see the UI, but "LCD" display is empty.
    I think it cannot find the image file or something. I tried to point it manually with Cyclone Config.txt -> bootImage: Typhoon 2000.img, but had no luck. My VST host is Tracktion.
    I also have a PC/Windows laptop running Reaper, and it works fine there.
    Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for such an awesome piece of software!

• Christian Dominique Rangé

Cyclone seems to cause Live 11 to crash. Shame, cuz I love using it...

Any plans for an update correcting this?

• gentleclockdivider gentleclockdivider

No luck here using the back image file ( floppy baker )
    Nothing happens upon loading the disk image in cyclone
    i'm on win 10

• Udbhav Gupta

Also running into crashes with Ableton 11, any suggestions would be very welcome, I loveeee Cyclone.

• Earth Stink

found the review eheheh

https://web.archive.org/web/20150607012150/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/jun94/typhoontx16w.html

• Tobias Vagman

Cyclone is awesome. I use it to resample synths inside Reason 11 ( where the routing in to sampling is very easy). I updated my Mac OS to Catalina, then Cyclone would crash all the time. Works fine on Windows though. Could this be fixed ? There is total revival for older sampling units. I could even pay for this great plugin.

• Samuel Shirokobrod

Hi everyone. How can I use the mic input to sample in FL Studio? It's not working and I am using the input menu on the top right.

Page 2 of 2

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.