microtonic noise filter frequence modulation?

Ingo Ziermann1 474 views4 posts
  • Ingo Ziermann

hi magnus,
    i use the mtonic a lot and i really love it!! BUT ...
    please add a filter frequence modulation for the noise section, in the same way as it is for the oscillator. i realise this momentary by using a simple midi lfo with very good sounding results. but this produce some limitations if i control the mtonic per hardware controller at the same time.
    best regards from berlin
    ingo

i attached a sample. check it out.
    the first 15 sec you hear the normal behavior of the noise section controlling filter frequence amp env decay manually. after then i control the filter frequence using a simple midi lfo. sounds a little bit like simmons drums or minimammut. you know?
    please...

• Magnus Lidström

Cool demo! I know, lots of early synth drums had that filter-sweeping sound. It's never been part of the Microtonic sound palette. It was one of those things I consciously steered away from, partly to make the UI simpler but also because at the time I had to use a really cheap filter algorithm that didn't sound good enough when sweeping. The audio engine for Microtonic was designed in 2002 and on PPC G3's it actually took something like 30% CPU. Hard to believe today.

But times are different of course. I have some seriously cool filter algos today that would do the trick. I'll note your feature request.

• Ingo Ziermann

yes, you are right. thats why i prefer to use the mt, its direct and simple way to get experimental analog-like sounds. but the lofi algorhythmus for the noise filter sounds good enough i think. it sound is very characteristic. may just rename it 'lofi-filter-fx with mod.' ;)

it seems to me like an unused feature. because the filter is there, the modulation structure is given. it would be a wonderful enrichment to the mt sound without a big investment (may i'm wrong. sorry for that. i'm not a software engineer).

• Ingo Ziermann

for your motivation…

a better sample. i used 3 noise generators of mtonic only. no effects, no sin/tri/saw-oscillators.

also the deep sinus sound is just filter resonance. the filters are modulated by extra midi lfos.

just a simple filter modulation.

best regards!

ingo

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.