Reverse: Off
    Operator1: MUL
    Operand1.High: 0x00
    Operand1.Low: 0x0F
    Operator2: OR
    Operand2.High: 0x00
    Operand2.Low: 0x00
    }

This patch creates strange noisy explosions that will remind you of an NES that has seen better days. However, there is a random DC offset being outputted by permut8 causing unwanted clicks every time the memory led (red light) repeats. (Use microtonic as the input. Without an input there's no click). To demonstrate even clearly, load this patch

Permut8ProgramV1: {
    Name: "Beat Shuffler"
    Modified: true
    InputLevel: 15.16859836 dB
    Limiter: Off
    FilterFreq: HP 45.93989142 Hz
    FilterPlacement: Input
    FeedbackAmount: 78.10000420 %
    FeedbackFlip: Off
    FeedbackInvert: Off
    OutputLevel: -2.85659899 dB
    Mix: 100.00000000 %
    ClockFreq: 44.09999847 kHz
    SyncMode: Off
    Reverse: Off
    Operator1: MUL
    Operand1.High: 0x00
    Operand1.Low: 0x00
    Operator2: NOP
    Operand2.High: 0x00
    Operand2.Low: 0x00
    }

This second patch simply creates random DC offsets and clicking. Attached is an mp3 example of the first patch.

• Magnus Lidström

Awesome broken NES sounds! :) But yeah, the pops are kind of annoying. These are artifacts that happens because of the way that Permut8 is designed I am afraid. There is no technology in Permut8 that prevents pops and clicks. These happen when either the read pointer jumps quickly or the write pointer runs pass the read pointer and overwrite its data. In smaller and controlled doses these clicks and pops are actually what creates all the filthy but lovely aliasing.

Permut8 in itself doesn't differentiate if you use it for rearranging audio slices, pitch shifting or degrading audio with decimation or doing granular "buffer underrun" effects. These effects are all achieved by modulating the read pointer for the buffer with various "patterns" according to the bits you set. Avoiding clicks is part of the challenge when you program "good" DSP algorithms, and the programming possibilities in Permut8 aren't sophisticated enough to let you do that. I would even argue that creating "good" DSP is not what Permut8 is about.

But I know it would be awesome if there was a button that said "anti-click". I just haven't figured out a way to implement this. I am not even sure there is any considering how generic the instructions are.

• Martin Géč

Any thoughts how to minimize those clicks and pops (which I like most of the time actually but sometimes they get really annoying)? Maybe with some post-processing?

'Anti-click' button would be awesome! :-)

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.