Echobode!

Magnus Lidström4 443 views7 posts
  • Magnus Lidström

Last Friday we released Echobode for Reason and it was met with great enthusiasm by the Propellerheads community. It currently holds the spot as the most popular RE in the Propellerheads shop.

It is a feedbacking delay with a frequency shifter inserted into the feedback path. The frequency shifter algorithm is home-made and inspired by the classic Bode device. I am very proud of its excellent side-band separation across the entire audible spectrum. I have also come up with a new technique to eliminate frequencies that are shifted out of the spectrum (nearly perfectly). The delay can be modulated and the interpolation is an "all-pass" solution, meaning it will not attenuate high frequencies the way your standard linear, cubic or sinc interpolation does.

Bode's solution for frequency shifting is an immensely clever (latency-free) contraption consisting of oscillators, ring-modulators and all-pass filters. In Echobode I let the end-user play with the parameters for these components. Together with the feedbacking delay there are enough building blocks to create different effects like phasers, flangers, choruses, ring-modulators, tremolo effects and more. In fact, many of the presets shipped with Echobode have very little to do with frequency shifting.

Btw, I hope you excuse me for the technical jargon in this post. I'm just very happy over some of the DSP achievements here. Check the product page for even more technical info and some illustrations to go with that.

Echobode is available as a Rack Extension for Reason only for now. This was one of three devices that I came up with when Propellerheads got in touch with me one and a half years ago and asked if I had any cool ideas for Reason devices. The other two are naturally Bitspeek and Permut8 (we still want to implement the latter for Reason, but cannot yet because of limitations in the RE SDK).

We have already received a lot of requests for a VST and AU version and this is something we will consider. But first we need to finalize the long and painful 64-bit port of our (too big) framework so that we can finally get MicroTonic and Synplant work flawlessly in your 64-bit hosts.

Finally, I must thank the extraordinarily astonishing patch designers and beta testers that helped us perfecting Echobode. Hats off to Adam Fielding, eXode (Daniel Thiel), Koshdukai, Linus Wileryd, TONAL AXiS (Richard Hider) and Tom Pritchard. Also, Andrew Simper whom I always enjoy sharing DSP tricks and techniques with contributed with an amazing parameter smoothing algorithm.

Cheers,
    Magnus

• anonymous

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Last Friday we released Echobode for Reason and it was met with great enthusiasm by the Propellerheads community. It currently holds the spot as the most popular RE in the Propellerheads shop.
    It is a feedbacking delay with a frequency shifter inserted into the feedback path. The frequency shifter algorithm is home-made and inspired by the classic Bode device. I am very proud of its excellent side-band separation across the entire audible spectrum. I have also come up with a new technique to eliminate frequencies that are shifted out of the spectrum (nearly perfectly). The delay can be modulated and the interpolation is an "all-pass" solution, meaning it will not attenuate high frequencies the way your standard linear, cubic or sinc interpolation does.
    Bode's solution for frequency shifting is an immensely clever (latency-free) contraption consisting of oscillators, ring-modulators and all-pass filters. In Echobode I let the end-user play with the parameters for these components. Together with the feedbacking delay there are enough building blocks to create different effects like phasers, flangers, choruses, ring-modulators, tremolo effects and more. In fact, many of the presets shipped with Echobode have very little to do with frequency shifting.
    Btw, I hope you excuse me for the technical jargon in this post. I'm just very happy over some of the DSP achievements here. Check the product page for even more technical info and some illustrations to go with that.
    Echobode is available as a Rack Extension for Reason only for now. This was one of three devices that I came up with when Propellerheads got in touch with me one and a half years ago and asked if I had any cool ideas for Reason devices. The other two are naturally Bitspeek and Permut8 (we still want to implement the latter for Reason, but cannot yet because of limitations in the RE SDK).
    We have already received a lot of requests for a VST and AU version and this is something we will consider. But first we need to finalize the long and painful 64-bit port of our (too big) framework so that we can finally get MicroTonic and Synplant work flawlessly in your 64-bit hosts.
    Finally, I must thank the extraordinarily astonishing patch designers and beta testers that helped us perfecting Echobode. Hats off to [Adam Fielding](http://www.adamfielding.com ), eXode (Daniel Thiel), Koshdukai, Linus Wileryd, TONAL AXiS (Richard Hider) and Tom Pritchard. Also, Andrew Simper whom I always enjoy sharing DSP tricks and techniques with contributed with an amazing parameter smoothing algorithm.
    Cheers,
    Magnus

Thank you Magnus - EchoBode is truly incredible. I'm happy to see the community going nuts over it!

• Riccardo Trost

Cheers for your last effort Magnus!
    Your "technical jargon" is very interesting!
    I'm not a Reason user, but of course i would love to see it on the vst-au platform.
    BTW we will wait for the 64-bit frameworks, altough in Live i'm not yet a 64bit user!!

• Richard Kinney

Echobode has quickly found its way into a lot of my Reason projects. It is easy to use and offers an infinite number of possibilities for mangling audio. Of course, it has many other uses other than mangling audio, but doing unholy things to sound is my little place in the world.

• anonymous

you support reason,i support you!!!!

and the Echobode is one of the best Reason Tools!!

• anonymous

Really looking forward to the 64bit versions of Synplant and Microtonic AudioUnits. :rolleyes:

• anonymous

I absolutely LOVE BitSpeak and Echobode. Top stuff! Look forward to more SonicCharge RE's. Cheers! Jeff

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.