Selling sample packs made with Sonic Charge plugins

Maurizio Patti183 views6 posts
  • Maurizio Patti

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the planning stages for a new sample pack and I'm considering using Echobode, Permut8, Microtonic, Synplant 2 for this project. Can anyone tell me if it's generally allowed to sell commercially one-shot samples as well as loops created with Sonic Charge plugins?

I've tried several times to contact Sonic Charge by email, but unfortunately I do not receive any response.

Thanks in advance!

• Fredd€

Hey, I'm not sure you get our emails then. I see you sent a new one today, but I'll answer here instead, so I'm sure you get it.

If you're using factory presets or any of the extra downloaded presets from our site, you would need our permission as they are copyrighted by the respective creator.

If you're using Patternarium presets, unless it's a massive dump of presets, you can get our permission by just telling us what presets you are using and attributing Sonic Charge, Microtonic, and/or Patternarium.

If you're using presets created from the Beatspace script, we'd appreciate a mention and reference to the Sonic Charge Microtonic Beatspace. But it's not legally required.

All of the examples above refer to the raw version that we provide. If you use any of them in your composition or alter them enough to warrant your own copyright, it's yours. Same as if you create them from scratch. You're free to do whatever you like with them. It's your art; we just provided the paintbrush and some colors.

• Maurizio Patti

Hey Frederik,

Had wondered the same - but even in my SPAM folder was nothing to find.
    Anyway, thanks for clearing things up! I totally get it about the factory presets and the ones from your site. I'll make sure to list the Patternarium presets I use and give a shoutout to Sonic Charge, Microtonic, and Patternarium.

For the Beatspace script stuff, I'll definitely mention Sonic Charge Microtonic Beatspace. It's the least I can do since your tools rock!

Thanks for being so chill about creators using your tools. Really appreciate it!

• Manuel Senfft

- Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    If you're using factory presets or any of the extra downloaded presets from our site, you would need our permission as they are copyrighted by the respective creator.
    (...)

Does this even apply when making a sample pack and not a preset pack? So I mean: rendered samples, which are static in the end? (I am just curious!)

• Fredd€

- Manuel Senfft wrote:
    Does this even apply when making a sample pack and not a preset pack? So I mean: rendered samples, which are static in the end? (I am just curious!)

Yes. But to be clear: We're talking about unaltered isolated factory presets and patches, here.

If you use it in a composition or if you alter it with adjustments or added effects, to the level where your version clearly is not just a recording of what the preset creator did, then it's yours.

• Manuel Senfft

Thanks for clarifying!

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.