Feature Request: Parameter Lock

Parker Jones176 views9 posts
  • Parker Jones

I'm loving synplant 2 so far. One request I had was a parameter lock between presets of the genopatch. My use case is seeing what each node sounds like - I'd like to hear them all without reverb, but they all have a wild amount of reverb. It would be nice to not have to edit this value for every node. Thanks!

• Karschnackelwackel

+1

• Joey Luck

I think the idea of a parameter lock in general could be useful and a nice way to experiment with different preset categories, such as making everything into a short plucks or into pads with long attacks, etc. Lock for voice mode and glide would also be handy.

In terms of using it alongside Genopatch, I think reverb plays a big role in the solutions, often times acting as sort of a resonator. So if reverb (or any parameter) could be locked while using Genopatch, the results might not be as good or just not as expected...but I guess as long as users would understand that the reverb isn't always used in the traditional sense (rooms and halls), and that locking any parameter could result in less accurate results, it could just be another way to experiment.

• Jason Anderson

Joey Luck is absolutely right. That's been my result as well, as far as I could tell. At first, this was a feature request I was thinking of posting later on, but after some experimenting one sees that Reverb is sometimes used by Genopatch to create certain phasing characteristics from the source audio even though that original phasing may have come from certain vastly different synthesis methods. You can tell right away, looking at meter/analyzer sometimes when the spectrum spreads out left/right channels w certain resulting solution patches, if you fed source with no actual delay/reverb you still may end up with GP using it to emulate certain properties of the source. Much like if you feed GP a delayed snare hit then it makes use of S2's looping envelopes.

The only reason I haven't requested locking features is because of what I see as the original intent of Synplant from the beginning long ago. An Organic method towards inspiration which attempts to remove the need for meticulous programming on the musician/programmer's side. Of course it's always nice to come closer to Exactly what you have in your head despite this, but.... In a way, it forces me to keep experimenting w it or improvise. We'll see...

• NextDAW

- Parker Jones wrote:
    I'm loving synplant 2 so far. One request I had was a parameter lock between presets of the genopatch. My use case is seeing what each node sounds like - I'd like to hear them all without reverb, but they all have a wild amount of reverb. It would be nice to not have to edit this value for every node. Thanks!

I was thinking about posting exactly this feature request just last night while using Synplant 2.

Would be a very useful feature to have available.

I also wonder, if such a feature was incorporated, whether it could be factored into the Genopatch generation? i.e. Whether 'locked off' parameters could be made unavailable to the Genopatch process, forcing it to only attempt to simulate using the other control parameters.

It could be interesting either way.

• NextDAW

- Joey Luck wrote:
    I think the idea of a parameter lock in general could be useful and a nice way to experiment with different preset categories, such as making everything into a short plucks or into pads with long attacks, etc. Lock for voice mode and glide would also be handy.

Some examples of using the 'locked' parameters could include, disabling Synplant's reverb and placing another third-party reverb in the DAW's mixer chain. Then cycling through available presets.

Another would be being able to 'lock' the 'legato / mono / poly' modes, while cycling presets during playback, to audition specific elements. For example, lock to 'mono' while auditioning 'poly' presets for bass or lead parts. Or vice-versa, while auditioning 'mono' presets for potential pad / key chord progressions within projects etc.

• Joey Luck

Yeah the Voice Mode was one I had mentioned as well. I think that, Glide, Sync, etc. would be good ones to be able to lock.

• NewLoops.com (Download Synplant 2 Pro Expansion Demo!)

This would be a great feature!

• aoVI

Adding my vote for parameter locks, especially reverb.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.