Multiple Midi In to Microtonic recording to a single MIDI Clip?

James Levine1 302 views7 posts
  • James Levine

Greetings,

I've reviewed chapter 13, page 180 of the ableton manual, utonic manual, the ableton forum along with the posts here, played with all the preferences, and my scenario is a tad different. Could the community help me to

1) think of the proper routing for having uTonic play through its own sequencer while being simultaneously fed MIDI from a separate sequencer on its own track, and manage to create recorded clips that total both outputs? The more spelled out the better.

The midi tracks in my template set serve double duty, and I'm trying to avoid sprawl into additional tracks.

2) Sometimes, I'll just want a pattern or clip (I currently have those kick hits in clips) on the utonic track hitting a kick and nothing else, for example, just to feed a side-chain. As it stands, those current midi clips on this instrument channel are just hitting the utonic's play button over and over again. If each of these problems requires a different routing solution, so be it, so long as I can use just one (maybe 2) instrument track. My apologies for piggybacking so many related questions into one topic.

3) what settings need to be made on uTonic such that midi clips on the same track or otherwise only play notes of the preset rather than fire off the play button of the pattern sequencer on uTonic?

I can play the output of both patterns playing the same uTonic, I think. However,

4) when I record clips on the instrument track itself, I typical only record notes from the uTonic sequencer, ignoring the other sequencer, despite having heard both while playing. When I play it back, I think some of the notes are now just firing off the pattern engine or to begin with were out of range of the 8 pads on utonic.

Also, if you could rephrase the difference between a preset and a program for me that would be great; it's not my intention to make the situation any more confusing over here. When I continue to try more configurations over here I'll post some screen shots, but was keeping my template tidy for a performance today.

Cheers to ya!

• Magnus Lidström

If I understand your first question correctly you want to record the output of MicroTonic merged with MIDI input from another track or external device? If so, I'm attaching an example project that demonstrates one solution. It basically involves adding an extra track that serves as a router of MIDI output from MicroTonic into another track (where you can record additional MIDI input).

Not sure I understand question 2 to 4 though. It sounds to me as you need to reassign the MIDI keys in MicroTonic? Check the User's Guide, page 30 for info on how to do this.

• Joshua Boden

"If I understand your first question correctly you want to record the output of MicroTonic merged with MIDI input from another track or external device? If so, I'm attaching an example project that demonstrates one solution. It basically involves adding an extra track that serves as a router of MIDI output from MicroTonic into another track (where you can record additional MIDI input)."

Could I see that? Im beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out.

Cheers!

• Magnus Lidström

Could I see that? Im beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out.
    Cheers!

Hmmm. Attachment gone. Well, that forum post was written on our old forum system and attachments probably didn't survive the transition to our new system.

I've created a new project that I believe demonstrates the same thing.

MergeMIDIExample.als(21.2kB, 810 downloads)

Is this of any help to you?

• Joshua Boden

No, I guess I misunderstood the question.
    Heres what I am trying to do.

I want to have a separate midi track for each channel on microtonic. I want to be able to have program each channel with a separate midi clip. Cant figure it out.

• Joshua Boden

Never mind. I just realized I had been making this a lot more complicated then it needed to be. To solve issue, I embedded mt in a drumrack, then extracted the chains.

I have been a microtonic owner since 05, but Im sort of rediscovering its potential. GREAT APP!

• Mikhail Samoilov

Can you share the rack maybe? Im looking for similar solution. Thanks.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.