Microtonic 3.3.2 (public beta)

Magnus Lidström190 views20 posts
  • Magnus Lidström

We have compiled a minor update of Microtonic with improved support for skins. Even though we do not expect any serious problems we will try something new here and call it a "public beta" until we decide to make it official.

This beta will be most interesting to skin creators because we have made some adjustments to the format of the skin resources. Most notably, pixelSequencer is no longer a requirement and any old PNG's that were encoded with this program need to be decoded or re-encoded to load properly.

You can find a guide to creating skins for Microtonic 3.3.2 over at our new GitHub for skins:

https://github.com/fredli74/microtonic-skins

Downloads for the Microtonic 3.3.2 beta:

Mac: Sonic Charge Microtonic.dmg(21.1MB, 22 downloads)
    Windows: Sonic Charge Microtonic Win.zip(7.2MB, 19 downloads)

As soon as we got a nice collection of updated skins we will create an easy-to-use installer for them. This installer will also include the "SkinChooser" script. Until then, please download and manually install this script in the correct location:

SkinChooser.mtscript.zip(5.08kB, 27 downloads)

On Mac, this would be /Library/Application Support/Sonic Charge/Microtonic Scripts/. On Windows, the Microtonic Scripts directory is located under the Microtonic installation path under Program Files.

Skins are expected to be placed in a folder called Microtonic Skins next to the scripts directory (again, under Application Support on Mac and under Program Files on Windows).

Again, big thanks to all our enthusiastic skin designers. With this update, skinning Microtonic will be even more fun.

• LarsErik

Good news! I'm looking forward to trying out the new skin format, especially the color scheme feature.

• Magnus Lidström

Did anyone get the SkinChooser to work yet?

• LarsErik

- Magnus Lidström wrote:

Oh yes. I’ve been updating my skins to the new standard and it’s been working really great. Got some minor things to fix before you get a pull request.

• Magnus Lidström

- LarsErik wrote:
    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Oh yes. I’ve been updating my skins to the new standard and it’s been working really great. Got some minor things to fix before you get a pull request.

Most excellent! Waiting with much anticipation.

• philter

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    This beta will be most interesting to skin creators because we have made some adjustments to the format of the skin resources. Most notably, pixelSequencer is no longer a requirement and any old PNG's that were encoded with this program need to be decoded or re-encoded to load properly.

sounds great! can´t wait to test it

• LarsErik

skinChooser.jpg

I'm saving so many clicks being able to refresh the skin without having to unload/reload the plugin in my vst host. Just lovely.

Just noticed that the red skin makes Microtonic and Maschine (my vst host) crash and burn. I'm thinking I've got some corrupted png files, perhaps some file that is a psd but is named png or something like that. I'll investigate this, to get the red skin working, and report here what I find.

With the skins I've made some changes (the matrix editor just like I've mentioned earlier) and yesterday I did new graphics for the morph leds going from circular to vu-meter style. Turned out pretty nice, gives a somewhat better indication on the ratio changes. Some name changes and the green skin is no more, it's to close to the red skin in look and feel. (If someone wants to do a hue-shift on the red skin they can make a green one in 10 seconds.)

• Manuel Senfft

Yeah stupid me tried to simply put LarsEriks skins in the skins folder and create my own mtskin file ... didn't work well, since a new PNG format is used, if I understand it correct ... and it just crashed my DAW, haha.

Looking forward to your updated skins, Lars! Sticking to the non-beta version in the meantime. (-;

Thanks Magnus, for the update, by the way!

• philter

i have some problems, too,
    after installing the update and following the instructions( on win) for the skin chooser script,
    i get 2 new entries in my script menu: "skin chooser" and "skin chooser_main".

Untitled 1.bmp

My Host Application was vstHost.
    if i click "skin chooser_main", nothing happens.
    if i click "skin chooser", i get this error message:
    Untitled 2.bmp

any thoughts?
  • LarsErik

- philter wrote:
    after installing the update and following the instructions( on win) for the skin chooser script,

The Skin Chooser should be in it's folder "SkinChooser.mtscript" under the scripts folder ("Microtonic Scripts" under the program files)

Double check that the folder "SkinChooser.mtscript" has no subfolders and cointains the js, cushy and schema files.

• Christian F.

I got the skin chooser script working, but it doesn't find any skins?

I put them in a folder called "Microtonic Skins" in /Library/Application Support/Sonic Charge

Is that not the right path?

Edit: My bad, I guess the skins have to be updated, I'll be patient then.

@LarsErik: The dark skin still does it for me, best shit eva!!

• LarsErik

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    Most excellent! Waiting with much anticipation.

I've done a pull request with my skins now.

Apart from the obvious update for the new skin format there's small changes and tweaks here and there on all the skins. The most obvious ones are changes to the matrix editors, morph leds and the morph controls. They also all changed their names, something that felt really nice to do mostly because the "silver" didn't look like it was made of silver at all and the zoolander-inspired names felt a bit weird. And yeah, the dark0ne is a good name now that I have a darkTw0 in the works.

• LarsErik

- Christian F. wrote:
    I got the skin chooser script working, but it doesn't find any skins?
    I put them in a folder called "Microtonic Skins" in /Library/Application Support/Sonic Charge
    Is that not the right path?
    Edit: My bad, I guess the skins have to be updated, I'll be patient then.
    @LarsErik: The dark skin still does it for me, best shit eva!!

Good to hear! I'm working on the new dark skin that I hope will be much better looking.

• philter

- LarsErik wrote:
    - philter wrote:

The Skin Chooser should be in it's folder "SkinChooser.mtscript" under the scripts folder ("Microtonic Scripts" under the program files)
    Double check that the folder "SkinChooser.mtscript" has no subfolders and cointains the js, cushy and schema files.

okay, solved the problem, thx lars eric. my other skins are working fine now,
    but i get this error message (and vstHost crashes) when i try to load one
    specific skin i made.

Untitled 1.bmp
  • LarsErik

- philter wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    - philter wrote:

okay, solved the problem, thx lars eric. my other skins are working fine now,
    but i get this error message (and vstHost crashes) when i try to load one
    specific skin i made.

Oh man that's one angry error message right there. I haven't had anything like that happening. Is it happening 100% of the time?

• Magnus Lidström

- LarsErik wrote:

😍 😍 😍

I've merged this into main. Looking killer!

One thing I noticed is that your skins are missing customized "tempo" overlays for Microtonic standalone.

• LarsErik

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    😍 😍 😍
    One thing I noticed is that your skins are missing customized "tempo" overlays for Microtonic standalone.

Thanks!

Ah shit, I didn't know there was a tempo overlay..

I’ll look into it.

• Magnus Lidström

- LarsErik wrote:
    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    😍 😍 😍

Thanks!
    I’ll look into it.

I made a script that shows the tempo overlay in case you do not have access to a Mac for running the Microtonic standalone version.

TempoOverlay.mtscript.zip(2.35kB, 5 downloads)

• LarsErik

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    😍 😍 😍

Thanks!
    I’ll look into it.
    I made a script that shows the tempo overlay in case you do not have access to a Mac for running the Microtonic standalone version.
    TempoOverlay.mtscript.zip(2.35kB, 5 downloads)

Tack så mycket. Det hjälper.

• LarsErik

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    - Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - LarsErik wrote:
    😍 😍 😍

Thanks!
    I’ll look into it.

Now you have a pull request with tempo the overlays for my skins. Thank you for the script, that was a real time saver, and pretty amazing that you took time to help out with stuff like this.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.