Sending Midi Pattern Note Data with MT 3.0.1 in Ableton Live 8

Matthew Faulkner1 817 views6 posts
  • Matthew Faulkner

Product Name and Version - MicroTonic 3.0.1
    Operating System and Version - OS X 10.6.8
    Host Name and Version - Ableton Live 8.2.6

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how I send MIDI note data from patterns in MT to another MIDI instrument in Ableton Live. I've tried everything I can think of, but it's not making any difference.

If you've been successful in doing this, then please let me know the steps required.

Many Thanks

• Magnus Lidström

- mrfracas wrote:
    Product Name and Version - MicroTonic 3.0.1
    Operating System and Version - OS X 10.6.8
    Host Name and Version - Ableton Live 8.2.6
    Hi,
    Can someone please tell me how I send MIDI note data from patterns in MT to another MIDI instrument in Ableton Live. I've tried everything I can think of, but it's not making any difference.
    If you've been successful in doing this, then please let me know the steps required.
    Many Thanks

First of all, make sure you are using the VST version only. AU doesn't support MIDI out from plug-ins. (Actually it does in theory in one of the latest AU specs, but no host has dared tried supporting it :) ).

Then do something like this:

MidiOutFromMicroTonicLive.mov(8.23MB, 624 downloads)

• anonymous

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    First of all, make sure you are using the VST version only. AU doesn't support MIDI out from plug-ins. (Actually it does in theory in one of the latest AU specs, but no host has dared tried supporting it :) ).
    Then do something like this:
    MidiOutFromMicroTonicLive.mov(8.23MB, 624 downloads)

Oh! How irritating. Thank you, Apple, once again for proving a little useless at falling in line.

Thanks Magnus for your advice. If only Ableton provided the same plugin manager as Logic does; then I won't have a mess of VSTs and AUs.

Do you think you'll get around to sorting this out for the AU plugin? Do you also think this is why I'm not getting MIDI out from Reaktor in AU format?

Thanks

• Magnus Lidström

- Guest wrote:
    If only Ableton provided the same plugin manager as Logic does; then I won't have a mess of VSTs and AUs.

In general VSTs are better integrated in Live than AUs. We've found latency compensation problems with AUs, as well as problems with meta-parameters such as the "morph" parameter in MicroTonic. A few things are better with AUs than VSTs though, e.g. the built-in preset management.

Do you think you'll get around to sorting this out for the AU plugin?

As soon as the Logic team (Emagic), Ableton etc begins supporting the MIDI output facility in Audio Units I will be the first to implement this.

Do you also think this is why I'm not getting MIDI out from Reaktor in AU format?

Yes.

• Matthew Faulkner

Hi Magnus,

You're a superstar!

Thanks for your unending help and patience.

I've installed the VST of MT (and Reaktor) and can confirm that I can sent MIDI out to other instruments/channels in Ableton. :D

Uber happy!

• NTNS909

yes Au not send MIDI unfortunately

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.