PO-32 Pattern 16 - what’s going on there?

Richard Ormrod190 views3 posts
  • Richard Ormrod

I’ve had a PO-32 for about a week now and I’m struggling to put it down - it’s very musical and a lot of fun - great work producing it.

I happily accepted that it is a 16-step sequencer and that one can adjust the swing of the even steps using the bpm/A knob combo, but I’m confused by the default pattern 16.

On playback, this pattern shows the 16-step red tracking light but what comes out of the speakers sounds like a 12-step pattern with a West-African sounding groove, like a bembe. The swing function does not seem to affect this pattern.

This is great - another level of rhythmic fun - but I can’t reproduce this effect in other patterns and I don’t understand quite how to control this functionality.

I copied pattern 16 to a couple of other patterns to try and analyse it, but all I’ve found out is that holding FX + acc seems to destroy this 12-step vibe and return the pattern to 16-step.

Has anyone else discovered anything like this? Not mentioned in the manual....

Richard

• Richard Ormrod

Making discoveries in the forum.....

In a PO-32 FX thread, Magnus helpfully lists all the FX functions and what they actually achieve. I found this:

10. 6/8 Quantize

This is a pure sequencer effect where only three of each group of four 1/16th notes are played out, evenly spaced over each quarter. (It uses the first, second and third 1/16th note, unless there is no trigger on the third in which case it uses the fourth instead.) In other words: making triplets.

Reading between the lines, it should be easy to get this effect to last any beat and so have true triplets lasting any combination of beats... interesting!

• Richard Ormrod

url link

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.