How to replicate the smear effect?

Leandro251 views3 posts
  • Leandro

Hi. I own echobode for quite some time and I love it.
    I want to replicate some of what it does on my modular rig. I´m particularly struggling with the "smear" knob. I don´t quite understand what it actually does. From the manual:
    "...smearing the phases of the signal spectrum through a section of all-pass delays. Notice that the smearing section is located inside the feedback path and that it introduces additional delay time."

Still, don´t get what it does nor how to replicate it. Any ideas?

• Magnus Lidström

I'm not sure how easy that would be to replicate with existing modules. All-pass delays are building blocks inside reverb algorithms and the smearing section inside Echobode has been carefully design and optimized for this particular signal chain.

I guess the nearest you could come with some external gear would be with a simple but clean, very short reverb. Something that does not color the sound at all, so nothing with early reflections. Just an extremely short white reverb tail.

• Leandro

I just realized that they are all-pass DELAYS (they were all-pass FILTERS to me, which lead me to a phaser effect).
    Thanks for the tip! I´ll try that.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.