soniccharge products crash in Cubase Pro 10.5

Zip Boterbloem952 views24 posts
  • Zip Boterbloem

Both Microtonic & echobode. They load, but crash very quickly. Example:

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 com.soniccharge.microtonicauvst320 0x0000000136e8b4ef SymbiosisEntry + 357503
    1 com.soniccharge.microtonicauvst320 0x0000000136f6c2de SymbiosisEntry + 1278574
    2 com.soniccharge.microtonicauvst320 0x0000000136f6d0ef SymbiosisEntry + 1282175
    3 com.soniccharge.microtonicauvst320 0x0000000136e90861 SymbiosisEntry + 378865
    4 com.soniccharge.microtonicauvst320 0x0000000136f99f9a SymbiosisEntry + 1466154
    5 com.soniccharge.microtonicauvst320 0x0000000136ea14c5 SymbiosisEntry + 447573
    6 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff4b0ef7cb __NSFireTimer + 80
    7 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48e60810 CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION + 20
    8 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48e603bc __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 851
    9 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48e5ff02 __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 330
    10 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48e41112 __CFRunLoopRun + 2130
    11 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff48e4066e CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 455
    12 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff4809f1ab RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
    13 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff4809eee5 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 603
    14 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff4809ec76 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
    15 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff4643777d _DPSNextEvent + 1135
    16 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff4643646b -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 1361
    17 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff46430588 -[NSApplication run] + 699
    18 com.steinberg.cubase10v5 0x000000010e2f43a8 0x10c318000 + 33407912
    19 com.steinberg.cubase10v5 0x000000010e120736 0x10c318000 + 31491894
    20 com.steinberg.cubase10v5 0x000000010dd0cde1 0x10c318000 + 27217377
    21 com.steinberg.cubase10v5 0x000000010dd1093b 0x10c318000 + 27232571
    22 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff74dc83d5 start + 1

MacOS 10.14.6/Cubase Pro 10.5(just released)

Please advice.

Best,

Zip

• Magnus Lidström

We are really sorry about this. Steinberg actually reached out to us a while ago to let us know of these problems. It turned out to be a pretty complicated mess (we still don't know exactly what is causing it) but the problems comes from an incompatibility with our plug-ins and the SDK that they use to compile Cubase.

We are working hard to finalize updates to all of our products at the moment. These updates will fix this particular problem and much more. We had hoped to be able to finish them before Cubase 10.5 was released, but Steinberg seem to have been quicker than us.

We will start beta testing the updates soon and if you wish to participate in the testing, please sign up to https://soniccharge.com/betareg

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Zip Boterbloem

Allright, you're on top of it. Good luck!

I'll go back to 10.0.50 for now, I am also experiencing intermittent slow redraws. Oh well, .0 versions never work as they should.

• Frederic B.

I don't feel alone anymore ... i have the issue also with VEP 7.0.926 ...

• Ever Valencia

Good to know. Glad it's not just an issue on my end. Will keep an eye out for this update. Thanks

• Zip Boterbloem

This hasn't been fixed yet?

• Magnus Lidström

Sorry not quite yet. It's not as simple as just fixing one particular problem for us. The main problem is with Apple. They have changed the way windows behave in their latest SDK (which Steinberg are to my knowledge the first to use). This requires some fundamental changes to how we work with text in our plug-ins among other things.

Meanwhile we have been working on some big architectural changes the past year to bring our plug-ins into the 2020's, and now we need to get all of them to run perfect again with all these changes. Some of our plug-ins haven't been updated in five years so there has been a lot to sort out.

Very soon though.

• Magnus Lidström

Btw, we are not alone with these SDK problems. I know of other plug-in developers who are also struggling with issues with the MacOS 10.14 SDK at the moment. And just to make clear again, it does not matter which SDK we use to build our products or which version of MacOS you are using them in. It depends on which SDK the DAW is built with (in this case Cubase 10.5), and that is unfortunately out of our control. I wish we would have got more time to fix things.

• Zip Boterbloem

I had all sorts of redraw problems in Cubase 10.5.0
    These have been sorted by Steinberg in 10.5.5, but there's still a memory leak.
    So, still using 10.0.50 for mission critical stuff.

Not updating software in 5 years. Hmm. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster, at least on the Mac platform.

• Magnus Lidström

- Zip Boterbloem wrote:
    Not updating software in 5 years. Hmm. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster, at least on the Mac platform.

Actually MacOS has been working surprising well for us the past years. Apple have been quite careful not breaking things until lately with Catalina etc. And we are very careful in following Apple's advice and have always been very thorough with our testing. So this particular problem we are having right now was totally unexpected.

• Manuel Oberholzer

hey, is there a "more or less" timeline for when to expect the updates..
    i need my synplant. :)

thanks for the great work on the plugins, and the po32..

• Magnus Lidström

- Manuel Oberholzer wrote:
    hey, is there a "more or less" timeline for when to expect the updates..
    i need my synplant. :)
    thanks for the great work on the plugins, and the po32..

We will start beta testing either next week or right after New Year's eve. So stable release should be in January.

That said, Apple has threatened us developers with harder requirements for their evil notarization process beginning on the 1st of January, so we will have to see what that means too.

• Manuel Oberholzer

hey magnus,

oh that's sounds great.. i mean that you're soon ready not that apple threatened you.. :)
    anyway,, thanks for the great work over the years..

• Kidneko

Hey Magnus!

Any news about the fix for these crashes?

I'm not yet an owner of Bitspeek (I only came across it late last year) but I'm keen to pick it up - I experienced the same crashes on Cubase 10.5 / macOS when trying it out.

Thanks!

• Kostas Kriauciunas

Any news on Cubase 10.5 ..?

• Michael Shirrefs

Ditto on the praise for you Magnus ...

And ditto on the wish for a resolution.

I keep forgetting, unwittingly loading something and crashing the whole project.

• Magnus Lidström

I am sorry this took so long. I never learn to never say "soon". But we have started beta testing at last. If you want to help out, go here: https://soniccharge.com/betareg

• dougieb

Magnus, we just appreciate your letting us know what's going on and for following up.

• Swen Ardic

I really appreciate that you keep us up to date, im really thinking about it to change from apple.

• David Forman

In my case, it's not the plugin that crashes in Cubase and VEP 7, it's that clicking on any part of the plugin's GUI instantly crashes Cubase, and same with VEP 7. They just instantly close.

EDIT - For those desperate for a fix, through much trial and error I've discovered that Sonic Charge plugins will work in Gig Performer as Vst host on Catalina, unlike VEPro. Then Gig Performer plus Rogue Ameobas Loopback gets the audio in and out of cubase by creating an Aggregate Device. It's clunky and not easy to set up at first, but it works with no perceptible latency added and so far has been the only way I've found to keep using my Sonic Charge plugins while we wait for SC to update them.

• Frederic B.

Oh no, i was hoping that it has been fixed.
    Still crashing on last cubase .... :/

• Zip Boterbloem

What's the latest news? I would like microtonic & echobode to work again, after 4 months.

• Magnus Lidström

Yeah. Sorry.

I admit I thought this would go a lot faster, but we've never had to update all five products simultaneously like this so I underestimated the amount of work.

<rant> Especially on Mac where Apple seem to have gone back to their old ways of not really caring much about backwards compatibility and the stress that this puts on us smaller "niche market" developers. </rant>

Status is that we are at the third beta version and it is looking very solid. This week's build will be a "release candidate" which means I am not expecting to find any more issues now.

But to play the devil's advocate I thought that in January already. I actually began working on these updates in October last year and have hardly been working on anything else since then. But in return I've managed to replace a massive chunk of rusty old code and the plan is that these new versions should hold up well for many years to come. Hopefully I can then find the time and peace I need to finish some of my brand new ideas.

Btw, it is not too late to apply to join the beta group if you want to help us with the testing.

https://soniccharge.com/betareg

• Zip Boterbloem

I haven't missed the update? Stiil in beta?

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.