Getting 8-channel Microtonic to work in Logic?

Jamie Morris1 578 views4 posts
  • Jamie Morris

microtonic 3.01
    osx 10.6.6
    logic 9.1.1

Hi, I'm playing with the microtonic demo right now, and having a lot of fun with it, but I don't understand how to route it to separate channels. I created a microtonic 8 output instrument, and then created an aux channel strip with microtonic 3/4 as the input, 5/6, etc. I'm not getting any sound. it works fine as long as I don't have an aux channel set up. Do I have to make a mulit-channel inst in the environment or something?

• Fredrik Lidström

Not a big Logic user I had hoped a professional user would have picked this ball up. :P No one did, so I had to poke around a bit in Logic and figure stuff out.

First of all you will be able to choose between "MicroTonicMulti Stereo" or "MicroTonicMulti MultiOut (8xStereo)" from the effects drop down list. Make sure you select the 8 stereo multi out.

What will happen is that it creates one instrument channel strip for you in the mixer. It seems to me that as long as no Auxiliary strips are added for the specific outputs the first instrument strip will be a mix of all 8 channels.

At this point you can manually create new auxiliary strips and connect their inputs to the different MicroTonic outputs, such as "MicroTonicM 3-4" for the stereo outputs for MicroTonic channel 2. You can also quickly add all the strips by just clicking the small [+] button in the mixer at the bottom of the instrument strip. Click that 7 times and you should now have aux strips setup for all separate MicroTonic channels.

(tested this on Logic 9.1.4 in Lion, I bet it works the same in 9.1.1)

• Jamie Morris

- Fredrik Lidström wrote:
    Not a big Logic user I had hoped a professional user would have picked this ball up. :P No one did, so I had to poke around a bit in Logic and figure stuff out.
    First of all you will be able to choose between "MicroTonicMulti Stereo" or "MicroTonicMulti MultiOut (8xStereo)" from the effects drop down list. Make sure you select the 8 stereo multi out.
    What will happen is that it creates one instrument channel strip for you in the mixer. It seems to me that as long as no Auxiliary strips are added for the specific outputs the first instrument strip will be a mix of all 8 channels.
    At this point you can manually create new auxiliary strips and connect their inputs to the different MicroTonic outputs, such as "MicroTonicM 3-4" for the stereo outputs for MicroTonic channel 2. You can also quickly add all the strips by just clicking the small [+] button in the mixer at the bottom of the instrument strip. Click that 7 times and you should now have aux strips setup for all separate MicroTonic channels.
    (tested this on Logic 9.1.4 in Lion, I bet it works the same in 9.1.1)

Thanks, I'll try that out when I get a chance. Is there any way to sequence microtonic's individual drums with a piano roll or midi controller the same way you would with a standard midi instrument, or is it strictly pattern-based?

• Magnus Lidström

- Jamie Morris wrote:
    Thanks, I'll try that out when I get a chance. Is there any way to sequence microtonic's individual drums with a piano roll or midi controller the same way you would with a standard midi instrument, or is it strictly pattern-based?

The individual drums can be sequenced and played with MIDI keys 36 and up (that is, C1 and up if you refer to middle-C as C3). You can also choose other keys if you wish with the "Edit MIDI Controllers / Keys" menu. Read more about it in the User's Guide.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.