1 = kick, 2 = snare, ... ?

Bebe Ruhi364 views2 posts
  • Bebe Ruhi

I've owned MT for a while but haven't learned the ins & outs. I generally am pretty bad at programming beats and I want to start learning.

I am wondering if there's a consensual way to use the channels in drum apps. For instance, should I reserve channel 1 for kick, channel 2 as snare, etc.?

I'm browsing the presets and channel 1 doesn't always sound like a kick.

I would like to develop a consistent set so that I can use the same beat patterns with slightly different sounding kits. That is, I would like to always have Ch 1 = kick, Ch 2 = snare (or whatever... it doesn't matter as long as it's consistent and I know what it is).

I feel like this will make my learning and programming (and auditioning kits) faster.

cheers!

• Magnus Lidström

Interesting subject. I tried to establish some kind of convention when I made my factory presets, but I didn't enforce other patch designers to follow it. This is how I try to arrange my channels:

1. Bass drum (BD)
    2. Bass sounds / low toms / low percussion
    3. Other synth sounds / mid toms / mid percussion
    4. Clap / cowbell / rimshot
    5. Main snare drum (SD)
    6. Alternative snare drum / rimshot / high toms / high percussion
    7. Closed hi-hat (CH) / tambourines / shakers
    8. Open hi-hat (OH) / cymbals (CY)

As you might notice, I try to place low-frequency sounds on lower channel numbers and high-frequency sounds on higher channel numbers.

I even wrote a script that uses some AI techniques (neural nets!) to figure out the category of each drum in a preset and tries to rearrange the channels according to these conventions. See here: http://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/54-first-script-package-for-microtonic

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.