Analogue kits

Ash Ley779 views14 posts
  • Ash Ley

Loved the po 32 but decided to try micro tonic in order to tweak the sounds towards the styles I wanna make (DnB, early hip hop, acid jazz etc). Haven’t found any way to import natural kit patches into micro tonic due to the required .mtdrums format. Found some nice .wav samples online but can’t comvert them to .mtdrums. Has anybody found a way to import non-.mtdrums patches? How does the import feature work and what formats does it support?

Failing all this, my parallel mission is to work harder at reproducing analogue drum sounds synthetically. With two whole weeks of experience, I’ll let anybody who cares to listen about analogue aesthetics know how I am going!

By the way, a wav-to-mtdrums converter would make me register my trial version instantly

Also, if somebody out there also loves this kind of music, I’d love to hear some tips on recreating analogue sounds! (I believe Magnus is quite talented, inter alia, in recreating sounds from ear!)

Love to all

• Fredrik Lidström

Hey,

Microtonic and tonic are not samplers, all drums are 100% synthetic and rendered in real-time on both platforms.

• Ash Ley

Right... They are drum machines right? And I'm trying to make them sound like drums. Somehow... doesn't have to be by sampling. Microtonic plays files in one format, it seems. Is that format not capable of playing acoustic sounds, like some of the other drum machine formats?

I guess then my challenge goes back into the forum, who can get the cleanest acoustic kit sounds???

• c0nsilience

If you want acoustic drums sounds, use MicroTonic to trigger something like XLN's Addictive Drums (VST/AU) or, better yet, get a Clavia Ddrum module (hardware) and trigger it with MicroTonic. Ddrum AT through 4 SE's are awesome pieces of hardware and are known for sounding very acoustic.

MicroTonic, by itself, is not going to give you anything remotely close to an acoustic sound, but it does synthetic better than just about anything else I've ever used.

• Ash Ley

Thanks!

• c0nsilience

No problem at all! Also, a software-based sampler (NI Battery, for example) will allow you to load your own .wav files and then you could very easily trigger it with MicroTonic.

• anonymous

- Benjamin Harrison wrote:
    If you want acoustic drums sounds, use MicroTonic to trigger something like XLN's Addictive Drums (VST/AU) or, better yet, get a Clavia Ddrum module (hardware) and trigger it with MicroTonic. Ddrum AT through 4 SE's are awesome pieces of hardware and are known for sounding very acoustic.
    MicroTonic, by itself, is not going to give you anything remotely close to an acoustic sound, but it does synthetic better than just about anything else I've ever used.

How would one set this up? I want Microtonic's sequencer to put out midi to another instrument in Ableton Live and Logic. But the sequencer does not seem to put out midi triggers to the outside world.

• c0nsilience

I don't use Ableton, so I cannot comment on that, but the absolute easiest way to do that in Logic is to drag the MIDI pattern out of uTonic into the track that has the other AU plugin (i.e., Addictive Drums, Ultrabeat, etc.).

uTonic's sequencer isn't the problem. It's how AU MIDI plugins are handled. uTonic's sequencer does transmit MIDI.

• anonymous

- Benjamin Harrison wrote:
    I don't use Ableton, so I cannot comment on that, but the absolute easiest way to do that in Logic is to drag the MIDI pattern out of uTonic into the track that has the other AU plugin (i.e., Addictive Drums, Ultrabeat, etc.).
    uTonic's sequencer isn't the problem. It's how AU MIDI plugins are handled. uTonic's sequencer does transmit MIDI.

I am looking for a way to route that sequencer data to another plugin (Battery for instance) without having to drag the midi clip to the Battery track but to use Microtonic as the sequencer basically.

• c0nsilience

Have you tried running uTonic and Battery as standalone and then using an application like MidiPipe to route it?

I don't think it's possible in Logic because of how AU is handled.

Maybe one of the devs with chime in on this, if they've had any luck with a direct MIDI out connection?

• Magnus Lidström

In Live this is totally possible. Simply create a new MIDI track and select the Microtonic track as MIDI source. Usually you also want to turn on "Monitoring" to let Microtonic play when the track isn't recording. Like this:

• anonymous

Thank you Magnus. That is indeed possible for the VST. I guess it's just not possible with Audio Units on Mac.

• Magnus Lidström

- Glen wrote:
    Thank you Magnus. That is indeed possible for the VST. I guess it's just not possible with Audio Units on Mac.

Right, I forgot to mention that. The AU version doesn't send MIDI because that didn't use to be possible at all. I think it might be nowadays in Logic with the MIDI FX technology and it is on my todo-list to see how that might work in practice.

But for Ableton there is absolutely no reason not to use the VST. On the contrary, if you use the VST instead of the AU you can load your projects on a PC as well.

• c0nsilience

Thanks, Magnus. Appreciate the insight into this.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.