What are the POs based off?

Mattias Johnsson845 views8 posts
  • Mattias Johnsson

First of all, Thanx Magnus for making the POs! That are fantastic, espcially PO-20 :) And its cool that you are swedish, just like me :P

The PO- 32 is based on the microtonic drum machine written by Lidström. But what about all other POs? Like the PO-20? Are they based on other vsts? Or are they programmed from scratch by Lidström?

• Dave Ashford

Teenage Engineering release the Pocket Operator series, not Sonic Charge. The way I understand it, Sonic Charge have collaborated on 2 models, hopefully with more to come.

• Magnus Lidström

Right! I certainly can't claim credit for all the Pocket Operators. :) The PO-1x series was made by Jonatan and others at Teenage Engineering. The 2x series was programmed by Linus Åkesson, a guy with some truly spectacular inventions like this one:

YouTube Video

Then Fredrik and I made the PO-32 based on Microtonic and now the PO-35 which is based on Bitspeek (but still very different). The PO-33 on the other hand was (again) developed by Jonatan at Teenage Engineering based on work by Pex Mahoney, but of course we've done these three in close cooperation to make sure they align feature-wise.

• Mattias Johnsson

Thanx for all replies guys :)

• Muawe Chiquito

Magnus Lidström I love the PO32, There is a function when you hold an accented step 1-16 and then press the accent button, it allows a toggle between A-0 and A-1, are these accent level controls or attack controls? Thank you, also, thanks again for the awesome job on this machine

• Magnus Lidström

- Muawe Chiquito wrote:
    Magnus Lidström I love the PO32, There is a function when you hold an accented step 1-16 and then press the accent button, it allows a toggle between A-0 and A-1, are these accent level controls or attack controls? Thank you, also, thanks again for the awesome job on this machine

Ah, you found a secret power-user edit feature. With A-0 and A-1 you can set per-channel-accents instead of global accent only. I added this mainly for the pattern transfer from Microtonic to PO-32 to sound better. It was too difficult to convert the per-channel accent in Microtonic to a global accent only.

• Dave Ashford

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - Muawe Chiquito wrote:
    Ah, you found a secret power-user edit feature. With A-0 and A-1 you can set per-channel-accents instead of global accent only. I added this mainly for the pattern transfer from Microtonic to PO-32 to sound better. It was too difficult to convert the per-channel accent in Microtonic to a global accent only.

Interesting! Are there any other secret PO32 features we should know about? :)

• Muawe Chiquito

- Magnus Lidström wrote:
    - Muawe Chiquito wrote:

AHHHHH yesssss thats even better, man that is going to be incredibly handy! thanks for the reply

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.