Preset search results in-app limited compared to finder search

braduro289 views6 posts
  • braduro

Hi All,
    Perhaps someone could help me understand why a search in microtonic standalone or plug-in gets limited results, whereas the equivalent scope in the finder gets far more hits:
    Compare the screen shots of a search in the Finder for (100) in the All folder, and the same search criteria in the pop-up window within microtonic.
    While we're on the topic, how does file management work that the same presets can appear under package as well as all without my copying them? I've also noticed that the finder behaves in an annoying way these days: even if you specify that search should be from within the last selected folder as a preference, OSX now always defaults to "This Mac" when a pop-up finder window appears. Not the proper forum for this, I know, but just want you to know I appreciate the problem is multifaceted...

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 8.35.20 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 8.35.16 AM.jpg
  • braduro

bump!

• braduro

bump.....

• Magnus Lidström

Sorry I just haven't come up with a solution yet. I've verified that something did indeed change in how the search from the browser works in latest MacOS. I can tell you it was really difficult to get it working in the first place so I'm pretty bummed it broke again.

It's on my todo list to see if I can sort this out for the next update.

The open/save browsers are probably the most broken facility in MacOS and one of the few OS components that our plug-ins really depend on so I've spent months on them already. I can certainly see why other manufacturers choose to implement their own browsers. But I've never been a fan of that.

Concerning your question about finding the same patch files in multiple sub-folders, the answer is very simple: our installers copy the files into these different folders. Our patch files are so small that it doesn't matter.

• braduro

That totally sucks, Magnus. Sorry you are going through this ordeal. And I'm sorry I can't be more help. I thought perhaps it was the scope of my search in Ableton, or that I had the ~_RelaxFileManagerSearch option listed in the preferences text file. The only other guess is that apple is as confused as I am as to how the same presets are automatically sorted under package and all? It just has no recall on the focused folder to search, even when all is listed or "current folder" is listed in general preferences. Or that there's some issue with the preferences running within the User Library but the presets defaulting to the system library?

Anyhow I confirmed that both the standalone and the plugin instance of microtonic (far left and right) has the same issue, but that the finder search for presets does work...:

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 10.38.16 AM.jpg
  • braduro

Ah, regarding your answer to the patches, if I make my own "Favorites of Gen 25" folder while I'm on the patternarium and save what I like to there, how does the search window know to copy those findings into the All folder?

And mind you, this is where I find leaving off on the "Favorites of Gen 25" a bit frustrating. Because even with the expanded view of that window and manually moving to the All folder, so long as the Gen 25 folder is the last place I saved to (I'm presuming that's why), that darn folder will always be the first to come up in my search scope. And even when I look at all and then type in the search, the window then shows me "On this Mac" scope rather than the last folder, ie ALL. So There's at least 3 mousy adjustments (selecting default preset folder, selecting all, searching, then switching back to All again because it still didn't choose the All search scope) on top of mousing to the general preset folder from the MT interface and expecting to find everything I might be looking for.

You need to be to post a reply

Sign In / Sign Up

First time here? Just enter your current email and sign up.
Facebook sign in no longer available. Use the same email to set password and access your account. If you need help, contact us.